Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-23-2010, 11:58 PM   #11 
RedBetta

Top Fin betta pellets ingredients.

Fish meal, wheat flour, soybean meal, krill meal, corn gluten meal, stabilized fish oil, squid meal, yeast, lecithin oil, choline chloride, calcium propianate, l-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (C), vitamin A acetate, D-activated animal sterol (D3), riboflavin supplement (B2), vitamin B12 supplement, niacin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (K), folic acid, thiamine (B6), d-calcium pantothenate, biotin, dl-aplha-tocopherol (E), manganese sulfate, cobalt sulfate, ferrous sulfate, copper sulfate, ethylenedamine dihydroiodidem, ethoxyquin (anti-oxidant).

Ethoxyquin
Wikipedia Description for it:
Ethoxyquin is a quinoline-based antioxidant used as a food preservative and a pesticide (under commercial names such as "Stop-Scald"). It is commonly used as a preservative in pet foods to prevent the rancidification of fats. There has been some speculation that ethoxyquin in pet foods might be responsible for multiple health problems

Last edited by RedBetta; 02-23-2010 at 11:59 PM. Reason: also im not sure if this is the one she told me about but I started searching some of the ingredients and this came up.
RedBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:23 AM   #12 
DragonFish

Hmm.....very interesting. I'll have to look more into that tomorrow....(tis late here, and I'm a lazy bum xD)just for curiosities sake mostly....

HBH Betta Bites doesn't have that however, and thats what I use ;)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:02 AM   #13 
TigerLily

That is interesting! I just checked my betta pellets and this particular ingredient does not appear to be in there. I'm currently using "Aqua Culture, Bella pellet food".
TigerLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:59 AM   #14 
dramaqueen
Banned

I didn't see it listed on the Hikari betta bio gold package, either.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:37 PM   #15 
RedBetta

Thats good its something that I really wanted to look into this exactly what my friend sent me on another site about the pesticide.

"its Ethoxyquin or EQ its in a ton of things not just fish food. Its in dog food, cat food, rat food ect and legally foods with it inside them dont have to list that its there if THEY themselfs didnt add it"
RedBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:01 PM   #16 
aknight

I just looked at the ingredients on all of my fish foods and it is in all of them, except my freeze-dried bloodworms. I have Tetra Color tropical flakes, TopFin Algae Thins, Wardley Advanced betta pellets, and BettaMin Tropical Medley flakes and they all list ethoxyquin as a preservative. Good thing I'm going to the petstore tomorrow I'll have to look and see if anything there does not contain that "preservative."
aknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:32 PM   #17 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm thinking of dumping out my Wardleys.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:52 PM   #18 
1fish2fish

I don't see the point in throwing out all the food. Do you know how many preservatives are in the foods we consume? According to that definition you posted it is an ANTIOXIDANT that can be USED for a pesticide.. as can cedar oil and diatomaceous earth..

Believe me.. although its not on your other pellet brands there is bound to be something in there like it. And you shouldn't feed blood worms daily.. that will cause even worse problems.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:55 PM   #19 
dramaqueen
Banned

Well, that's true. I know there's a lot of bad stuff in our food. My fish don't get Wardleys all the time anyway. It's mixed with thhe bio gold.