Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-06-2010, 03:07 AM   #11 
truthequalslies

A tank of that size needs a water change once every 3 days two 50% and one 100% ,,,hav you tried aquarium salt? Its usualy a more healthy alternative to meds and also helps him relav and breathe a lil easeir
truthequalslies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:12 AM   #12 
kelly528

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthequalslies View Post
A tank of that size needs a water change once every 3 days two 50% and one 100% ,,,hav you tried aquarium salt? Its usualy a more healthy alternative to meds and also helps him relav and breathe a lil easeir
An uncycled tank really should be cleaned 100% so that you remove detritus as well as dissolved waste.

I think salt would help but in this case I don't think it should be used in lieu of meds because body rot is a very aggressive bacteria.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:38 PM   #13 
vaygirl

Kelly's right. And if he heals, keep up with the water changes every week. It's better to keep water clean to avoid illness then to treat them with clean water after they're ill. Also make sure his holding tank has heat or meds won't help much.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:01 PM   #14 
bettaowner101

You should be cleaning a 1.5 gallon tank atleast once a week. I have never heard of this disease before. I wouldn't get a heater for a small tank because the one's that are made for 1 gallons do a horrible job. You could put some Aquarium Salt in her tank for now. That could speed things up a bit. I would use 1 Teaspoon per gallon since he is sick. To be honest, you can use regular salt in tanks. Just make sure it is rock salt and that it doesn't have Iodine in it. I use that in my tank and my fish love it.
bettaowner101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:37 PM   #15 
loppy656

thanks for all the helpful tips. =) he is now better and is doing fine. but now sadly Dorthy ,my other fish, is sick for unknown reasons. he has this kind of fuzzy stuff hanging off his fins and some of the plants in his tank. I put him in my holding tank used for when my fish get sick.
loppy656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:56 PM   #16 
kelly528

Sounds bacterial so you should be able to use the same meds that you used for Poseidon... perhaps when Dorthy is well again you can convince your parents (maybe earn the money through chores or something) to get you a bigger tank (ie a 10g divided) so that your fish will not be as susceptible to disease? It sounds like you are struggling to keep the tanks clean which is understandable given their size.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 04:44 PM   #17 
loppy656

well i would be happy to buy my own tank and i even have enouph mony right now, but my mom says "no more fish or tanks" even if its for one of my fish right now. and my dad goes right along with it.
loppy656 is offline   Reply With Quote