betta fish

Old 02-27-2010, 08:21 AM   #11 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think you should get another one.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:12 PM   #12 
xxabc

Does BRITA Purifier remove chlorine? Lol, I seriously have no idea what that does. I just know what it is. Yes, I would get another one, try fresh again.
Also, I've never heard of a betta actually dying because of bad temperature? Room temperature they can survive in, affecting their life is also a maybe if it's really that low, but I think you have a much better start now.

So yes, start fresh! Good luck with your new betta!
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:20 PM   #13 
xgoingdownx

I agree- just remember to keep reading and learning as you go! My betta used to be so lifeless because I didn't know the proper care for him, now he's such a character!! Good luck!
xgoingdownx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 04:27 PM   #14 
sunkissedinCA

welcome!

i'm sorry about your fish :( it's really sad that the majority of pet store employees are so uneducated about the animals they are supposed to provide care for. but luckily there are sites like this that are able to help though! a lot of people here have shared your experience, and are now succesfully keeping one or more bettas :)

i say, start fresh! i think you'll find that bettas are pretty awesome little critters, you'll be surprised at the entertainment they provide. good luck, and if you do decide to give it another try, be sure to update us! and feel free to ask questions, everybody here is really helpful :)
sunkissedinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 04:37 PM   #15 
doggyhog

I don't know if Brita filters remove chlorine, but water conditioner also removes heavy metals and things that are bad for fish, it also helps build up their natural slime coat. My tap water doesn't have any chlorine in it, (Well water, I live in the country) but I still use water conditioner, because it removes more then just chlorine. :)

Yes, bettas can and do die because of extreme temperature changes! I had two boys in a divided tank and I forgot to plug their heater back in after a water change (NEVER do water changes when your really tired!!) and the next morning, they were alllllmost dead. Luckily I managed to save them. But one of them has been battling fin rot ever since.

You probably want a tank bigger then one gallon any way, get a 2g+ tank and a heater, and your little buddy should be happy! You can get a small bottle of water conditioner for a few bucks, a few drops per gallon. LOL I have to get the huge bottles because I have six tanks. One bottle wouldn't even last one water change day. ;)

Good luck!! Defiantly get another little guy or girl! They are very very fun and rewarding!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:09 PM   #16 
xxabc

doggyhog, Really?? Well I'll be sure to keep that in mind. How bad was the temp fluctuation?
Old 02-27-2010, 11:00 PM   #17 
doggyhog

Yep. I was SURE one of them was dead. But he wasn't. Thank God.

The temp got down to about 60 degrees. (yes, my house is reeeeally cold!) So if fluctuated about 20 degrees over night.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:04 PM   #18 
xxabc

Oh wow! That's pretty bad. Lol. We'll I'll be sure to watch out for the temp then.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:05 PM   #19 
dramaqueen
Banned

I had one that got fin rot as a result of temperature fluctuations except mine happened in the summer. It was HOT and our stupid air conditioner went out. One fish got fin rot and the other one was fine.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote