Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-30-2013, 09:05 PM   #1 
cyclesnipas

Can I keep a Betta in my aquarium?

Considering a Betta male or female (?) for my 45 gal aquarium. Ive seen them in community tanks at stores and would really love to keep one in mine. The current inhabitants are 7 cardinal tetras 6 rummy nose tetras,1 small blue ram, 2 small angels, 3 green corys and 1 royal pleco. Its planted fairly well with artificial plants and 2 large pieces of driftwood. The temp is kept at 81 deg. Is this possible? If so can I keep multiple females? Also is filter current an issue? I run 2 Penguin 200 filters would this be to strong a current for a Betta? I apologize for playing 20 questions and any advice would be greatly appreciated.
cyclesnipas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:50 PM   #2 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

IMO, the Ram and Angels would be red flags. So I would say "no."
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:55 PM   #3 
Kittiesdragons

I second this no... sorry My friend has angels and I know they are pretty aggressive at times and would probably tear your betta(s) to pieces. Esp as they get bigger :(
Kittiesdragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:03 PM   #4 
Illhearted
Banned

The angels are more of an issue than the ram. I've kept a ram and a dwarf gourami together in the same tank. They occupy different parts of the tank and the ram particularly will keep to itself.
Illhearted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:24 PM   #5 
cyclesnipas

Ok, so no go on my 45 gal. No biggie cuz Im gonna be setting up a 15 gal community tank soon and would like to keep a betta in that. Any suggestions or warnings for tank mates? I would like to base my stock on betta compatibility.
cyclesnipas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:14 PM   #6 
Chachi

I've had angels and they can definitely be very aggressive....especially to fish with fins like bettas. :(
Chachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:31 PM   #7 
Kittiesdragons

For a compatible tank mate in a 15 gallon I would personally get a shoal (about 6 or so) of some endlers or perhaps some peaceful WCM minnows (provided the tank stays warm enough for the betta and cool enough for the minnows, which requires finding a good balance to keep both fish species happy) you might be able to fit a small shoal of neons but they might not work in just a 15 gallon and can become nippy when not give enough space or enough individuals per shoal (6 should be minimum)
Kittiesdragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:14 PM   #8 
SamanthaC02

I love betas in a community tank. I have a 20g long with a male betta, a school of neon tetras, a small school(4) of Cory cats, a small pleco and some assassin snails.

For a 15g I'd recommend a small group of bottom feeders like Cory cats, loaches, otos or one of something larger like a bristle nose pleco and a small school of a mid level swimmer like tetras or danios

I also love the idea of doing a southeast Asian black water pool biotope based around a betta. That could be one betta, 6 harlequin rasboras and 3-5 ghost shrimp for example for a 15g. Here's a link to some informant about the biotope:
http://fish.mongabay.com/biotope_se_asia_pool.htm
SamanthaC02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:22 PM   #9 
SamanthaC02

Also keep In mind that it is best to have a lot of plants and hiding places when you have a betta in a community tank and introduce the betta last in to the tank. Not all betas will be able to coexist safely in a community tank though.
SamanthaC02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:14 PM   #10 
dt2680

I have a 20g tank with 7 neon tetras, 3 guppies, 2 albino cory cats, 1 bristlenose pleco and my male betta, Oscar. I added my betta last. It worked well. He is very happy. No one is nipping anyone else. I was a little concerned about the guppies, yet, they stay at the top of the tank a lot and Oscar cruises the whole tank and is cool with all the other fish.
dt2680 is offline   Reply With Quote