Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-06-2013, 02:53 AM   #1 
Zombinator1

Concerned-What is happening? Help ASAP

Hello again,

I recently made this post about my Baby Betta:

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=297145

He seemed to have his belly bulge overnight, and then it subsided the next day. Now he has it back, when I came home I found him propped up against his heater. He is paler and seemed to be barely breathing (he seems to be active now-still pale, and bulged).

Here's the better news, all seven of my Betta Fish seem to have the same bulge, along with my roommate's Betta. One of my Betta's seems to be shivering(every so often). I just don't understand what it could be.

I do my best to not cross contaminate anything between my fish, the only thing they seem to share is the food I feed them, and the water from my tap.

They all just received a water change on Saturday-all 100%. Some of them I am not seeing droppings, and the rest of them seem to have normal droppings. They are all actively swimming and being themselves, but my baby is definitely off, and the one I mentioned who is shivering.

If anyone has any suggestions on what it may be, and advice on how to fix it, please let me know as soon as you can.

Thank you.
Zombinator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:14 AM   #2 
Zombinator1

Update: some of them look as though they may be trying to rub themselves against the glass of their tank, or the plants in their tank.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:48 PM   #3 
Sakura8

Hi Zombinator. It is possible they have some parasites, a combination of both internal and external. I would suggest treating all the bettas with API General Cure which has both metronidazole and praziquantel. Metro is very effective for treating internal parasites such as worms and prazi is effective for treating external protozoa such as costia and flukes.

Another thing you might check out is the type of food you're feeding. A food that has a lot of wheat fillers is hard for bettas to digest and that may be causing the bulge in his belly; as he slowly digests the wheat filler, the bulge will go down only to return at the next feeding. I suggest feeding brands such as Omega One and New Life Spectrum as both have fish products as their primary ingredients and are easier to digest.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:23 PM   #4 
Zombinator1

Thank you Sakura, I do appreciate it.

I did the General Cure treatment and just completed the second dose last night. Most of my Bettas seem fine. A few are a little lethargic though-or at least it seems like it. Two of my Bettas had bulges come back. I am not sure if it is simply because I am not finished with the full cycle of treatment, or if it is because it is not working.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #5 
Sakura8

To be on the safe side, I would do at least two more additional treatments of General Cure, possibly even four.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:24 AM   #6 
Zombinator1

I definitely want to be on the safe side, and will do just that. My only concern is that none of them have filtered tanks, and I was wondering what kind of water changes to do with more rounds?

Also one of my fish seems to be doing worse, he is laying towards the bottom, and being more lethargic as well. Also looks like he is breathing slower. I am very worried.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:57 PM   #7 
Sakura8

Are they all in five gallon tanks? Change 50% of the water once a week during treatment.

If your one guy is showing distress, go ahead and get him out of the meds and into clean water where he can reach the surface easily.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:21 PM   #8 
Zombinator1

No, 2 of them are in 10 gallons, and one of them is only in a one gallon for now.

Another update, another of them has a bulge that is significantly bigger than it was this morning.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:45 PM   #9 
Sakura8

Are you using epsom salt? If not, add 1 tsp per gallon. If you are, up the dosage to 2 tsps per gallon. :/
Old 11-11-2013, 09:43 PM   #10 
Zombinator1

No. I have not been. Can I use both ES and General Cure together?

This one fish especially, seems to bulge, and when I come back he is fine, then later he will be like that again.

The lethargic one, I changed his water he seems better today. Should I stop with the General Cure for him? I am worried if that was what was making him so down.