Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #11 
avraptorhal

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by thendeathsaid View Post
Hi, I have another question. Is it possible to have too many plants? And if so, how would I estimate when I have too many, for a 2.5 gallon tank?
When the fish have no swimming room.
avraptorhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:19 PM   #12 
thendeathsaid

Will there be enough CO2 if I have more plants?
thendeathsaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:06 AM   #13 
Laki

Not all plants need co2. Especially in a 2.5, you can pack that with regular stem feeders and be perfectly fine. Some beginner plants include: java fern, java moss, hornwort, anubias, anacharis, frog bit, salvinia, pennywort, swords... There are SO many.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:06 AM   #14 
thendeathsaid

Hi,

I just noticed that my betta's showing signs of mild fin rot (the tips of a couple of his fins were red and some were a bit fuzzy). I had some medicine on hand so I put some in the tank. A few minutes later I saw that the red tips were gone, but not the fuzziness.

I've been changing 50% of the water once a week. I think the cycling is done because I haven't been getting any readings for ammonia or nitrite but some low levels of nitrate.

I haven't changed it 100% yet, and algae has been growing on the glass. I have five small live plants right now.

Is there anything more I should do about the water? Should I do a 100% change?
Old 11-04-2013, 08:15 AM   #15 
thendeathsaid

Also, another concern. I live in a tropical country close to the equator, and the room temperature is always between 82 and 84 F. I haven't worried too much about this since it's still technically in the OK range (at least for now...when the drier/hotter season comes it might be worrisome), and people keep bettas just fine over here. But I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with keeping bettas in country like mine and if they do anything about the temperature, or just leave it as is?
Old 11-04-2013, 12:38 PM   #16 
Illhearted
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thendeathsaid View Post
Also, another concern. I live in a tropical country close to the equator, and the room temperature is always between 82 and 84 F. I haven't worried too much about this since it's still technically in the OK range (at least for now...when the drier/hotter season comes it might be worrisome), and people keep bettas just fine over here. But I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with keeping bettas in country like mine and if they do anything about the temperature, or just leave it as is?
I leave mine as is. Just stick a thermometer in the tank and keep an eye on the temperature. Chances are your worry will be about keeping the tank cool, more than keeping the tank warm.
Illhearted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:07 AM   #17 
Laki

Some tropical places or at certain times of the year in others are warm enough that you don't need a heater. Check the temperature with a thermometer, keep in mind temperature fluctuates night vs day.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:21 AM   #18 
Mashiro

Are you using a heater?
Mashiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:35 AM   #19 
thendeathsaid

No, I'm not using a heater. My concern is that the temperature will get too high, since I read that 84 F is the highest you should go
Old 11-06-2013, 08:25 AM   #20 
Laki

Get a thermometer

Tags
2.5 gallon, betta, bottled water, lighting, nitrite