Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-05-2013, 08:06 PM   #1 
fawx

I need a better heater.

I have a Tetra heater for 2-10 gallons. It's 50 watt.

My tank is a 10g that's divided. The heater is on the left side, right next to the divider, but the water on the other side is significantly colder. The right side is actually like 73 degrees now :O

What's a better heater you should use? Adjustable would be preferred. Under 40 bucks.

Post any names of ones you'd find in Petco or Petsmart
fawx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:40 AM   #2 
LizzyP

I have an Aqueon in my 5.5 gallon and a Top Fin in my 3. People say not good things about the TF heaters but I've never had a problem. The Aqueon I just got but had to return the first one because it didn't work so just be careful. I had a Marineland in my 5.5 and it ran great for 2 years then it died. I don't think you can get them in PSmart/Petco though.
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:33 AM   #3 
Gallifrey

If you're willing to order online w/ free shipping, I'd suggest this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/161090110442?afsrc=1

I'm using it right now after reading a thread about it earlier. It's really great!
Gallifrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:57 AM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...8&pcatid=11368 This little heater is amazing and I find it rather attractive compared to some! The 50W is only 18 which is a steal, I think! It's also adjustable for your convenience and for when you really need it! I recommend this heater 10/10 always, I've got three myself and love them all! I even have a 25W one heating my 1 gallon, it does over compensate in such a small space but I just set it to the lowest setting and it heat's at 78 no issues!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:02 PM   #5 
fawx

I should've said I'd prefer in store. Whoops!
Are all the heaters you mentioned good for ten gallons?
fawx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:04 PM   #6 
kyle89

as long as you get it in 50watts you will be good for 10 gallons.
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:13 PM   #7 
FirstBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawx View Post
I have a Tetra heater for 2-10 gallons. It's 50 watt.

My tank is a 10g that's divided. The heater is on the left side, right next to the divider, but the water on the other side is significantly colder. The right side is actually like 73 degrees now :O

What's a better heater you should use? Adjustable would be preferred. Under 40 bucks.

Post any names of ones you'd find in Petco or Petsmart
All petco and petsmart stores don't carry the same product lines.

If your divider is solid maybe punching some holes (small enough not to capture your guys) may not require another heater.
FirstBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:01 PM   #8 
BettaCulture

Hydor Theo, Fluval, Aqueon 50watt, As for the heat only being on one side. you should place the heater near the outlet of the filter if you have one. Having the heater near water flow will distribute the heat through out the aquarium. I have a small canister filter with the intake on one side and the return on the other, so the water flow will be pushed through the divider. If your divider does not have enough holes then drill some extra ones for better flow through. The other option is to get two heaters one for each side.

Last edited by BettaCulture; 11-07-2013 at 03:09 PM.
BettaCulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #9 
Kissthepilot

My heater brought the little 2.5 tank up to 90 degrees. Is this too hot for bettas? I'm thinking of getting a 6 gallon tank, so perhaps that heater will be just right! It's not adjustable, by the way.

Thanks!
Kissthepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:28 PM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah 90 is a tad too hot, good for treating Ich but not for normal. You want anywhere from 78-82 ideally
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote