Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-05-2013, 06:32 AM   #231 
Stone

I am sorry to hear about fred, Imiss my little mutt of a veiltail, clown he was a great little fish, I wish you luck on the spawn and of course I want to see pics of the little guys once they get big, as far as what I have kept with giants, well with elvis anyways was just about anything and everything platys,corys,tetras, and even bigger ghost shrimp, I even had platy and molly fry in with him, he paid them no attention and they were very "snack sized" to him. With all bettas it's a fish by fish basis, some don't mind company some hate it, Harley the smallest of my giants lived with harliquin rabosas mystery snails and 2 dwarf african frogs with no issues. Someone here was thinking about getting a new tank I found this tank http://www.truaqua.com/aquarium-tank-st320.html it is on clearance and well really cheap and looks decent, I ordered one and will do a review on it once I get it and get it set up, it's a whopping 27 bucks and change for tank hood light and filter so it is worth a shot, they have a few others that are priced to move

Last edited by Stone; 11-05-2013 at 06:37 AM.
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:52 PM   #232 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Any news? Have you introduced them?
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:31 PM   #233 
logisticsguy

Cookie will be released this evening Matt. Im excited but must say I worry about her getting beat up. Im attached and don't think I should watch lol. The other 3 spawns were released this morning. Cookie has been doing the final float for a couple hours. Wish I saw more mating behaviour from her but ive tried to be patient.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:33 PM   #234 
redthebetta

I can't wait! I really love Cookie's colors.
redthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #235 
summnd

Matt, toward the beginning of the post I noticed you pointed out there's a difference in 'King' and 'Giant' which I've been asking about..what's the difference?
summnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:15 PM   #236 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Kings are typically smaller then actual giants (half giants, maybe), but the term is kinda blurry... Logisticsguy could probably tell you more.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:44 PM   #237 
logisticsguy

That is a very good question summnd. as Matt said it is blurry but I have done some research on this. King is usually a Petco term that means really big betta. Nothing more. A King may or may not have any giant genetics at all. Most Kings do not have giant genetics but no doubt some may carry the gene. For instance I have a few males from large stock that would be sold at a Petco as a King. At full grown a giant male should be at least 3.5 -4 inches body but some have been grown as large as 7 inches but that is very very rare to get that big. breeding 100% giant to 100% giant will only produce 10% to 35% Giants. To get a giant both parents must carry the giant gene.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:48 PM   #238 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

There we go. Thanks, CJ.

Has Cookie been released?
Old 11-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #239 
PetMania

=) subscribed

Very interested in giants, have always wanted one since I first got into the whole betta thing-ma-bob
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:06 PM   #240 
logisticsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
There we go. Thanks, CJ.

Has Cookie been released?
Just released Matt. Im like a nervous parent. It went good with a big show by Jupiter and cookie paying a little attention. Cookie is the most mellow betta Ive ever seen. No biting yet so far so good. I had to cover and walk away. Its up to them now.