Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-07-2013, 10:37 PM   #61 
twolovers101

Quote:
Lucky for you I am also directionally challenged, so I had looked at the ones you really meant instead of the ones you indicated... lol
HAHA had a good laugh at that one :) but yes, I love my little unicornos :) they have such personality for plastic inanimate objects lol

Quote:
Your tank looks great! As do the inhabitants :)
I think I'm getting a 6 gal to make NPT. I wish I had been brave enough to use soil in my others, the Floramax doesn't seem to be cutting it for me. Seemed like everything was doing so well and suddenly started declining, and now just is really slow growing :/ Now I have to work on that *sigh*
Thank you :)

I've never used Floramax, though I've seen it in stores, good to know it doesn't deliver.. How long have your tanks been set up? If it's been 6 months to a year you might simply need new bulbs, they tend to fade after a while. You could also try using root tabs or dosing with seachem's flourish or excel. Excel is basically liquid CO2 and if you go that route, put it in at the start of your daylight cycle, so the plants absorb it better :) (got that little gem off a knowledgeable plant enthusiast at petsmart o.o)
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:04 AM   #62 
Quinn

I've actually heard people have had success with it, that's why I got it! I'm not quite sure where it went wrong, it's only been a few moths, so I'm still tinkering with lighting times, after experiecing some hair algae in the beginning (then got Amanos who took care of that quick) and now the plant issues. I'm buying Flourish (hesitant about Excel because I have inverts and have heard many death stories). Already have root tabs in there as well, but most of the plants that were doing well and now aren't are not heavy root feeders so hopefully the flourish will help. Well except the floaters. They never stop! Haha. But the whole point of the Floramax was to not have to worry as much about add-ons, and it wasn't even the color I wanted they had in stock, so it's extra frustrating!
Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:45 PM   #63 
twolovers101

What's your current daylight exposure time? I had issues with hair algae in the beginning, but as my plants grew it went away on its own (with some help from my snails) lol I actually like algae as long as it's not on the front of my tank, and then I just scrape it off during water changes.

What kind of plants are the ones that are having issues?
Old 11-09-2013, 11:41 PM   #64 
twolovers101

Update photo of the tank, some more growth, the vals are really taking off now, just trimmed a few leaves off. I've been doing more research (I do crazy amounts of research when I'm interested in something lol) And well... my tank is no where mature enough for shrimps yet :( oh well. I'm still learning this whole process. I've also discovered that I don't have enough plants... it needs to be so much more denser. And I REALLY need long neck tweezers... something like this in order to get some of my trimmings planted where I want them *sigh* maybe I can get my husband to get me a pair... planting with my fingers is really getting difficult....

Maybe by the end of December the tank will be stable enough to have shrimp... meh not too happy about that... and the fact that I'm having to do 2 50% water changes a week... but I just need to get over it. It's not the fish's fault... I need to be better at doing my job...

Here are a few photos of the tank, and Shosta's nest (which I just destroyed T.T) his nest was a good .5" high and about the size of a silver dollar around.

In other news, my husband and I are going on a date tomorrow that we've been planning for the past 2 weeks, to the Dallas World Aquarium I'll take lots of pictures for you guys :) I'm really excited about it... like crazy excited... like... 5 year old on the night before Christmas kind of excited... maybe it'll spur me on to be a better fishkeeper...

Also, Rajah is being a little snot. One moment he's doing the cutest cuddly things a kitten ever did, and the next he's ripping my hand to shreds Right now he's sleeping with his tongue poking out of his mouth while I type this and listen to season 1 of My Little Pony... yes, I'm 23, collect unicornos, and love MLP... I'm such a werido.
Attached Images

Old 11-11-2013, 10:02 PM   #65 
twolovers101

So the Dallas World Aquarium was AMAZING so many cool things!! Free flight birds, a PANTHER, sharks, alligators, giant fish, a FREAKING MANATEE O.O, tree kangaroos, just all sorts of cool animals ^^

I finally broke down and made a photobucket album, so when I have pictures I have comments to make, I can just link those :)

Here's the DWA slide show *le click!*
Also, the photos are in kind of a random order, but they're just there to share and enjoy :) also, there's a picture of me next to this MASSIVE fish, and the manatee was a good 3 times bigger than the fish, just to give you some perspective ^^

And I've decided to rename the snails Thing One and Thing Two (since I don't know their gender). Also I added a filter to Shosta's tank... I noticed some wonky things about my water tests so I decided to give cycling a shot, also, it'll take a good 2 months for the tank to mature anyway, so I figured I might as well give it a shot ^^;
Old 11-11-2013, 11:18 PM   #66 
BettaLover1313

Very nice pictures!
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:00 AM   #67 
twolovers101

Thanks :) they were taken on my husband's iPhone... so some of them are kind of blurry/out of focus. The manatee was the best exhibit though, the island in the middle was a legit island, with trees on top and monkeys living in the trees. The tank didn't look as big from the top as it actually was. When we got down to the lower levels both my hubby and I were awed by how huge and deep it was.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:48 PM   #68 
twolovers101

Update photo of the tank :) I need to scrape the algae off the glass again... this is why I need shrimp...

Thing 1 and Thing 2 try to clean it all, but I think it just grows faster than they can manage on their own.
Presenting Thing Two's efforts

Thing One doing it's best.

And I tried to get some halfway decent photos of shosta today... meh

And Rajah pictures!!

Playing with his new toy (he's obsessive about this thing) it's so cute!

And who doesn't love bean toes?!?!

Little cutie woke me up this morning by sucking on my earlobe and purring, such a sweetie!

Last edited by twolovers101; 11-12-2013 at 10:04 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:08 PM   #69 
BettaLover1313

Wonderful pictures!
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:21 PM   #70 
twolovers101

Thank you :) I really like the first snail one ^^