Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-02-2010, 07:42 PM   #1 
Iamtracy

What can I do to help him?

Stopped by the fish department at Walmart today. Found 4 tanks containing 1 - 2 males in each tank along with Neons, Angels, Kissing fish, etc. I told an Employee at Walmart that Betta's can not be housed together, asked her to fish them out and return them to thier individual bowls. She refused. She told me she would only fish them out if I wanted to buy them.
I purchased the betta in the worst condition, here's his picture. I hope they show what I see.
What should I do now?

Iamtracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:55 PM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I'm really at a loss for words. I would call the manager and speak with them or e-mail and demand that they're wrong and if they don't think you're right, tell them to do some research. Poor thing! It looks like he's been beaten up pretty badly. I would keep him in a nice warm tank, you'll probably want to turn up the heater to 80, if you have a heater. Also, put some aquarium salt in his tank and put a towel over the tank so he calms down. When he starts feeling better, I'd give him a couple salt baths. I hope he makes it and I'm so glad you saved him!
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:08 PM   #3 
Iamtracy

Ok, heaters crankin'!
Could you be more detailed about the salt? I can get some aquarium salt tomorrow afternoon, but how do I give him a salt bath?

Thank you for your help!
Old 03-02-2010, 08:38 PM   #4 
Romad
TFK Moderator

I'd leave him alone for now (no salt bath) until he starts feeling better like BFC stated. It would be a good idea to pick some up and add it to his water. Can you give him a nice leafy silk plant for some security too?

That picture just breaks my heart. Good luck and it was so nice of you to help the poor lil guy. Even if he doesn't make it, he's in a much better place now.

So sad :(

p.s. you should forward this picture to whoever manages that walmart and make sure they know who they've got working in the fish dept. jerks!
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:03 PM   #5 
Iamtracy

Almost 3 hrs after he was removed from the Walmart tank.
Do you think it's too soon to get my hopes up?

Old 03-02-2010, 10:37 PM   #6 
BettaxFishxCrazy

He looks a lot perkier, but I wouldn't get your hopes up. All you can do is hope that he gets better and take it a day at a time. :)
Old 03-02-2010, 10:52 PM   #7 
Kitch3ntools

wow what a crappy thing for the worker to do! reminds me of the people who say "there just fish" >_< gurrrr! that picture is heart breaking. im so glad you saved him, weather he makes it or not, and if he doesnt make it he is no longer suffering! <3 poor guy! AQ salt does wonders, they sell some at my walmart so i dont know if yours will have it, or if you even want to go back in that section. it would be really cool to see what his true colors are because sick his coloring is pretty cool. im sending good vibes your way! <3
Kitch3ntools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:47 AM   #8 
Iamtracy

approx 14 hrs after being removed from the Walmart tank.

I'm guessing laying on top of the heater close to the surface is not a good sign?!
Old 03-03-2010, 08:04 AM   #9 
Iamtracy

Moving around a little bit. Dropped some food in.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:05 AM   #10 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Some pick weird places to lay, but I would keep an eye on him. Was he swimming around before?