TFK Moderator

Yes we have a cat show! :D

;Today:
In my head:

Bright Lights -- Fine Times

On my mind:
FREEDOM! Going home today! But midterms next week. :(

And life story time...

Alright... So I do believe I got somewhere between a 60-70% on that math midterm. Which I'm happy with. You're not supposed to expect much in first year. Anyways I'm happy, finished 5 minutes early and all.. My friend not so much, she couldn't finish in time and had to guess a bunch of multiple choice at the end. Looked like she was gonna cry. :/

Going home today for the weekend. Getting my hair done and going shopping. WOOP!

And also going to look at a room on Tuesday morning. :) Will be pet friendly so Waffles can come, best part is it's just one street over so I'm still in the middle of downtown!
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:13 AM   #12 
PetMania

Cool! 60-70% is actually really good from how you look at it. It is a majority of 100%, so you did a great job :)
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:16 AM   #13 
Sakura8

Where are you living now? In the dorms?

Math tests. I'm getting a panic attack just thinking about someone else taking a math test, let alone me.

Girl, you were made for college life.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:06 PM   #14 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

-writing this a second time- ;-;

;Today:
In my head:

Remember the Mountain Bed -- Jeff Tweedy
and I know why farms and cities are built, by hot, warm, nervous hands

On my mind:
Not much.
Everything sucks but I'm still happy for some reason.
I WANT CRUNCHY LEAVES!

In my tummy:
Coooold coffee. Milk and honey after.

And life story time...
Okay, so bad week after bad week... I got 45% on my math midterm (worth 22%), a 65% in bio (worth 25%) and a 52% in chem (worth 27%). Which according to the upper year students I've talked to, I'm doing pretty good... And I thought about dropping a course but apparently I'm fine. //sigh. Doesn't look fine to me. But a lot of people I know are doing this bad. My one friend from high school is doing worse than me, and she's already most likely going to drop out of the science program into something easier. :( Sad times.
I was one of those kids who would get mid 80's without trying in high school.. University is toughest on us they say.

I met a few cool people here, but I have also met one super cool person that I get along with really well. :D Like best friend material. One super cool person out of so many though, jeez. But whatever haha. I don't need that many friends.

I get to go home again this weekend though! Woo!

Waffles in the fall:
Old 10-27-2013, 08:23 PM   #15 
Sakura8

Awwww. University is a different beast but I think you're doing fine. All I can say is maybe study more? *shrugs* Or cheat?

*hugs* Miss you!

Waffles!!!!!!!!
Old 10-28-2013, 10:08 AM   #16 
Illhearted
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post

And life story time...
Okay, so bad week after bad week... I got 45% on my math midterm (worth 22%), a 65% in bio (worth 25%) and a 52% in chem (worth 27%). Which according to the upper year students I've talked to, I'm doing pretty good... And I thought about dropping a course but apparently I'm fine. //sigh. Doesn't look fine to me. But a lot of people I know are doing this bad. My one friend from high school is doing worse than me, and she's already most likely going to drop out of the science program into something easier. :( Sad times.
I was one of those kids who would get mid 80's without trying in high school.. University is toughest on us they say.
Yeh doesn't look fine to me either. yikes
Illhearted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 03:28 PM   #17 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I've been putting off updating this. -_-

;Today:
In my head:

Biting Your Tail -- Iron and Wine
may your mouth betray your wisdom, may you get what they failed to mention, may your love be your only religion; preach it to us all..

On my mind:
Food food food FOOD!

In my tummy:
Coconut, persimmons, pomelo, fresh cranberries, dark chocolate, a lot of stuff actually..

And life story time...
Alright so a little background, I've sort of wanted to be a vet most of my life, and I'm sort of still into that but I'm starting to think...
Maybe I should be doing something more meaningful in life..
I'm in no way trying to brag, but I'm starting to realize that I have something that I am just so passionate about in life, more so than most people seem to be passionate about anything.. And yup people have pointed it out when I start talking to them about my interest.
Namely the slow food movement.
The slow movement spoke to me, since it is basically everything that I find important, put together. Animal welfare (not rights to clarify), the environment, human rights, human health, the history of agriculture itself (in the form of heritage livestock and heirloom crops); all come together in the slow food movement.
Which is why I'm switching my major into Organic Agriculture (though again 'organic agriculture' isn't EXACTLY what I am interested in, it's close).

More than anything though my heart goes out to the small farmers, the ones who are still trying to do things right, to keep their crops free of pesticides and their animals comfortable. Farmers who are interested in HUMAN HEALTH as opposed to profits. Because, the way things are going here in Canada and the US, soon it will be near impossible for small farmers to do what they are doing. Laws are changing to make things easier for factory farmers and harder for small farmers. Concepts such as "bio-security" that make us think it is safer to eat a chicken that was kept indoors in a crowded factory farm than it is to eat a chicken that wandered freely outdoors for its life.

Traditional agriculture is under threat right now in so many ways.

Getting to the point, my rant about GMOs, genetically modified organism. You are most likely eating them. Especially those of you who partake in the joys of soy and corn products, a large majority of which is GMO.
Now, as someone who used to have a lot of faith in science (and I still do, depending on how you look at it), I never had anything against GMOs. And I know some people rant about how they are bad for us but this never made sense to me from a scientific stand point (though there was a recent study which found that female pigs fed GMO soy had on average a 25% heavier uterus. Odd.)
Anyways, my real hatred of GMOs stems from the injustice of these companies. The way they are tearing apart agriculture as we know it. The small farmers they are suing and putting out of business.

I am very opposed to GM crops.
They are trying to allow a GM alfalfa variety to grow in Canada. Here is a cute video about that that summarizes my main concern about GM crops.
Take Action to Stop GM Alfalfa.

--> As an aside I was never as opposed to GM animals as they are much easier to contain. But my university developed a GM pig that produced less pollution, and people were so upset about it and no one wanted to eat them so they were all euthanized two summers ago. We're currently developing a GM turkey variety because apparently we have nothing better to spend our money on other than dead end projects.

Coming to an interesting point, a very thought provoking debate occurred two nights ago, between two very well respected food activists. One of which was my person farming idol, Joel Salatin. The debate was, should we require government controlled labels on GMOs on our food?
I was shocked to find that Joel's stance was NO.
By the end of this debate, I understood his stance perfectly, and I am now unsure of which side to take (though I lean towards Joel, probably out of bias).

My favourite part of the debate came from Joel's side as well. To paraphrase,
If I have a field of crop, and my neighbours cattle come onto my land and trample everything, I have every right to sue my neighbour for destroying my property with their cattle.
But if I have a field of crop, and some corporations genetically modified plants come onto my property, they have every right to sue ME. Why can't I sue the company for destroying my land with their patents?

Which makes PERFECT sense in that view point, but of course our beautiful government and such tend to do whatever makes it hardest on the small farmer.

If anyone is interested in the debate, here it is (skip to 50 mins ahead):
Joe VS Joel GMO Debate
(again if you watch this you will see why I am such a fan of Joel's, he's such a beautifully passionate person and I love his, madness, and rants about liberty and such. Joe is a lot more calm but he also has beautiful points that I agree with fully, which is why I am not sure of my stance on this anymore.) The point against Joel is the Certified Organic labels, which while Joel seems to support, these can be just as dangerous to a farmer (eg if accidental contamination occurs).

someday we may all want nothing, and all together we'll get what's coming,
someday say that the world was something, that we just couldn't change..

I will stop there for now, though I may continue to discuss this later on, maybe someone has some interesting comments.

Another point, I've decided that in two years I will start raising rabbits in the method of Joel's brother, on pasture. Just a small fur and meat project using heritage rabbits (Giant chinchillas and probably silver fox). Raised on rotating pasture in the warmer months and comfy sheds in the cooler months.
Please no debates about eating rabbits or meat or rabbit fur here, I will remove.

As a final note I picked up this cute little saying printed on a card today;
this is what you shall do;
love the earth and the sun and the animals, despise riches,
give alms to everyone that asks, stand up for the stupid and
crazy, devote your income and labour to others, hate tyrants,
argue not concerning god, have patience and indulgence
toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or
unknown or to any men or number of men, go freely
with powerful uneducated persons and with the young and
with the mothers of families, read these leaves in the open
air every season of every year of your life, reexamine all you
have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss
whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be
a great poem.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:01 PM   #18 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Amen, Oli. Also, what bothers me a lot is that organizations like Monsanto (no words to describe how much I dislike them) have sued small scale farmers making themselves a modest living for saving seeds from their own corn (not even Monsanto stock) that was pollinated by pollen from a field of Monsanto corn. Ridiculous.

What do you think? Should GMO foods be labled as such?

You're rabbit operation sounds awesome.

Last edited by MattsBettas; 11-09-2013 at 04:05 PM.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:17 PM   #19 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

//shrugs. I don't know. I sort of agree with Joel that should we really be putting so much faith in the government with what we eat? A GMO free label as controlled by the government is quite dangerous to farmers. Then Joe is arguing that yes in an ideal world everyone would know their farmer by name and such, but that's not realistic.
I guess it's the idea of the government babying us and putting all our faith into them, versus thinking for ourselves and making our own choices about what we are buying. Maybe we've already been too conditioned into trusting the government to be able to handle making our own choices.
GMO labelling is required in many European countries but they also don't have a lot of (if any?) GM crops growing there so they regulate things much better.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:12 PM   #20 
Sakura8

*hugs* Oli. I'm really happy you have something you believe in so much. It makes all the difference in the world to have a cause and a belief that is worth fighting for.