Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-10-2013, 12:22 AM   #61 
Bombalurina

I wouldn't get a mystery snail. They get large, they poop like crazy, they do zilch for algae, and they stink to high heaven if they die. Seriously, it is the single worst thing I have ever smelt, and it sticks to your hands for days. You are nicely stocked as is - don't go adding snails.

Some things that would help your neons un-stress:
- More cover. Open spaces make fish feel vulnerable to predators. If you add in more plants (I would choose some easy-to-keep live ones like java fern, anubias, hornwort, cabomba, ludwigia, rotala or wisteria), they will feel safer. Floating plants are also great for this.
- Cover the background. A plain black background would not only make their colours seem more intense, it would make them feel safer, as nothing can see through the back of the tank.
- Black substrate. Also makes their colours pop, and seems to make some fish feel more secure.

I hope this helps. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:29 AM   #62 
DreamerHorse

Oh, I didn't know that about the snails. D: In that case, I might as well not get one.

I don't know about the black substrate, it would mean scooping out the current gravel I have, but I'll try to do the other two. Right now I'm stuck with my current plants, but when I get back home I'll rearrange them to offer more cover. At the beginning of the month I'll get more live plants, I'm stuck with walmart and they only sell Swords.
DreamerHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:32 AM   #63 
tennielle22

I was told they where compatible with bettas but mine had them for lunch :)
tennielle22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:56 AM   #64 
DreamerHorse

Twilight is just fine with them, he ignores them.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:40 AM   #65 
vikingchick12

Unhappy

Please keep them separated for a long time! I bought guppies from my local walmart and they brought a sickness that killed my 3 betta girls, 2 neon tetras, and my 2 betta boys I put in the tank I quarantined the guppies beforehand (even though I cleaned it very good). I added them in too soon and things went wrong. :( But my girls seemed to be ok with the neons and guppies.
vikingchick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:43 AM   #66 
DreamerHorse

THe neons have been with Twilight since the beginning of the week. They're fine, no signs of illness, just stress.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:33 AM   #67 
scootshoot

I have a 15 gallon, housed are....

1 male betta
5 neon tetra
3 white clouds
20++ mix of red cherry shrimp and ghost shrimp
lots of plants

They all get along peacefully. Results may differ for others as bettas vary greatly in temperament.

My male grew to be a very large veil tail, he was introduced in the tank as a guppy fry looking wannabe (petco betta baby) so was accustomed to his present inhabitants ever since he was the runt of the litter which I am sure played an effect on his docile personality, never have I seen him once go after a shrimp even when they are squirming up in his face.

Far as food, I feed the tetras this http://www.amazon.com/New-Life-Spect...20+with+garlic basically just grind them up inbetween my fingers and dust a few sprinkles up top, they love it.

The Male betta gets one or two pellets of this http://www.amazon.com/New-Life-Spect.../dp/B0038JTL1Y
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:42 AM   #68 
DreamerHorse

Twilight's fine. He chased them at first but now he ignores them and when he gets close they swim away. As far as I'm aware, the only chasing going around now is between the neons.

I want to get a better brand of food rather than Tetra but there's nothing I can do right now. I'm making better cover and maybe a sponge filter a priority right now, then I'll see about better food. There's just not enough money these days. :(
Old 11-10-2013, 11:49 AM   #69 
scootshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerHorse View Post
Twilight's fine. He chased them at first but now he ignores them and when he gets close they swim away. As far as I'm aware, the only chasing going around now is between the neons.

I want to get a better brand of food rather than Tetra but there's nothing I can do right now. I'm making better cover and maybe a sponge filter a priority right now, then I'll see about better food. There's just not enough money these days. :(
Those are definite higher priorities, I'd do same as well. Nothing wrong with a fish hobbyist on a budget, keep an eye out for local listings on craigslist. Some ex fish keepers are literally giving their stuff away due to moving out of state, etc.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #70 
DreamerHorse

Yea, better habitat then better food. ;)

I'll keep an eye out on Craigslist but it's hard for me to find my area on there, and I've done the whole map thing. xD