Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-10-2013, 04:30 AM   #1 
laur3namb3r

Something is up with Mr. Copernicus...

hi all, haven't been on this forum in a while--been busy. anywho, i am sad to report that my fishy isn't doing too hot.

about a month ago i noticed copernicus liked to attack the live plant in his tank. occasionally i would see pieces of the plant floating around the tank, so i'd scoop them out. well, just recently copernicus has gotten pretty bloated. i fasted him for about 3 days, and when there wasn't any change, i fed him a piece of a pea (i was desperate). side note: i only feed him about 2-3 pellets twice a day, so i don't think i overfeed him.

yesterday i changed the water about 50% percent and took the plant out (because i didn't want him ingesting it anymore) and by the end of the day i had noticed what looked like gold specks on the gravel and on his wood log. i woke up this morning and copernicus is totally lethargic and has clamped fins. he either stays in one spot at the very top of his tank, or hides in his house. he still wants to eat, which is good. as of now he hasn't come out of his house all night. i had to shine a flashlight on him to make sure he was still alive. :[

i'm just not sure what to do...should i treat for velvet? there's no noticeable specks on his head or body, but i'm just so concerned.

here's this:

What size is your tank? 5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no, but consistently stays at 80 degrees
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? omega one
How often do you feed your betta fish? usually twice a day, now it's down to one due to his condition

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 30-50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? prime water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 8
Hardness: n/a
Alkalinity: n/a

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? bloated belly
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? lethargic, fins clamped, not acting normal, bloated belly
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 3 days ago, gold specks yesterday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? haven't yet
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)?about 2 years i'm guessing
laur3namb3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #2 
Glory

he might have velvet
Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:40 AM   #3 
laur3namb3r

thanks glory, but before i treat i want to make sure i am 100% sure i know what's going on with him.

today i woke up, and enticed copernicus to come out of his house with a few pellets. he's still acting the same--lethargic and only staying in a few places. however, there's still no sign of velvet on his head. it's only speckled on the gravel/log. i did a 100% water change and washed everything in his tank with extremely hot water. i read that epsom salt can help treat bloat, and since I have that on hand, I gave him a bath with it. i put him back into his newly changed tank, and he's still in the same position i left him in. could he maybe be suffering from dropsy? when looking at him from up top, he looks like he's starting to pinecone . here's a picture, he hates the camera (even when he's sick, go figure) so it's not a good one.

i need some opinions!
Attached Images

laur3namb3r is offline   Reply With Quote