Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-05-2010, 11:55 AM   #1 
iluvflair

How active is too active?

I want to say thanks for everyone who gave advice on my bettas. :) My uncle used to keep aquariums but doesn't anymore, so maybe he'll have some stuff. If not . . . well, I'll find something. Also, how do you know if the filter in a place is too strong? The filter I'm using came with the tank, and as he's my first with a heater, I can't tell if he's active or if the filter is blowing him around too much. He spends all of his time either zipping around at the speed of light or lying on the bottom resting. How active is too active? Also, since I'm new to this, I checked out the FAQ page and it said to check pH, ammonia and nitrite levels. Just how exactly do you go about doing that? I use ordinary tap water for their tanks, but we live in the country and use well water, so I don't know if there's any harmful chemicals in there or not. I've had Twilight and Moss (my male and female, respectively) for about four years, and they seem fine, and Flair for . . . I don't know, one or two years? Thanks for helping. :)
iluvflair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:25 PM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

If you see him getting blown around and he has trouble swimming by it, than the current is too strong. Some people put a sponge over it or pantyhose to calm it down. I don't know much about checking for those things. The one that people recommend is the API test kit, not the strips. If you're using regular tap water, you need to use a water conditioner that helps remove the harmful chemicals in it. That's great that you've had your bettas for that long! You're definitely doing something right! :)
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:51 PM   #3 
iluvflair

Thanks. I hope to do even better in the future.
When you put it that way, yes, it's definately too strong. I'll try the sponge thing, hopefully that'll give him some peace and quiet. :) And I'll have to look around for an API kit, whatever that is.
iluvflair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:17 PM   #4 
reaperss06

I would think the water from a well would be fine since it runs from natural places and not a plant that chlorinates it or whatever they do.
reaperss06 is offline   Reply With Quote