Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-05-2010, 07:44 PM   #11 
Iamtracy

I kept a very small female in one of those 1 gal and I thought the black "lines" on her sides were simply her color. Later, moved her into a bigger tank (cuz the small one was too much work) and those lines on her side went away. She's a bright green color, not dark green with black lines!
Iamtracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:21 PM   #12 
dramaqueen
Banned

Those lines were stress stripes.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 04:25 PM   #13 
RioM

My Bettas are never in less than a 10 gal. In a 20 gal long they are very happy and rarely annoy the fantail guppies. They like to race from end to end, they can move pretty fast. Their color is amazing, deep and saturated, my white looked like a pearl. I've had 2 males in a 20 several times, with maybe 12 guppies, they'd each pick a side with a rock or ornament as territory center and never fought. I never use a heater, too many almost disasters and lost fish when one doesn't shut off. My fish seem healthier, and there's only a couple degree change winter and summer. The current two 20 gal long tanks have been going 14 years, no heaters & lots of power outages. The last heater I used was mid 1980's. The 20 gal long is much more stable, easier to care for, a few more fish gives Betta something to watch, and almost all my Bettas play in the filter current. I use Aqueon 20 on the back, a few inches from the side, and the guppies and Betta seem to think getting rolled tail over teakettle by the current, or swimming 'upstream' is fun. In a 2 Betta tank, I move the filter to the exact center to keep the peace. Hope this helps.
RioM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 04:31 PM   #14 
Alaura123

I think it is perfectly fine, bettas can be perfectly happy, because at least they have much more space to swim then in their petco cups, and as long as they have plants and or hiding places, then are ok
Alaura123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 04:35 PM   #15 
myexplodingcat

I've got a rescue boy in a well-planted 1 gallon, and he's pretty happy and vibrantly colored there. I'm in the process of setting up a 10g community for him to try out, though. :)
myexplodingcat is offline   Reply With Quote