Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-29-2013, 09:20 AM   #1 
OrangeAugust

Having bad luck with bettas recently.

I've had bad luck with my bettas recently. I had two males in a divided 10 gallon and 7 females in a 55 gallon community tank.
But a few months ago one of my male bettas developed swim bladder disorder. I put him in QT and treated him first with epsom salt and when that didn't work I followed the advice of some on here and tried two different antibiotics, and they didn't work. I felt so bad for him because he just sat on the bottom all day and had a really hard time coming up for food. Then last week he died. I was kind of relieved, though, because it made me so sad to see him suffer and sit around all day doing nothing.
Then one of my females in the sorority got dropsy and died less than a week later.
Then... I'm such an idiot... One of my females was being a super bully so I put her in time-out, floating in her cup in the tank. It had been about a week and I was about to let her out again but later that day I noticed her in the cup just hovering vertical. And I was like "ooohhhh craaap". Something happened and the cup tipped over and water came in completely filling up the cup to the lid so she couldn't breathe and she died. I felt the most horrible about that one because it was my fault.
And then I thought one of my other females was dying the other day because she was completely clamped up and not moving. Her gills weren't moving either a few times when I looked at her, so I thought she was dead. So to make sure she was, I jiggled the cup and she woke up and started breathing again. There were like 3 times when I thought she was dead. I put her in her own 1 gallon and within about 24 hours she's almost back to normal, swimming around and eating. She's a little clamped still but not as much as before. So that one is a success story. But when I thought she was dying I was just like, "Uggghhh 3 bettas already died on me in the past month. Not another!!!" So I'm glad to see her back to normal for the most part.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:39 PM   #2 
Betta Adventures

It's always tough to have a handful die at a time. I'm glad the run of bad luck seems to be over.
Betta Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:59 PM   #3 
TaylerHill

I'm sorry to hear you are having troubles. I have been too lately. One of my males that I have the longest recently developed popeye and what looks like the start of dropsy. I am doing 100% daily water changes and treating with AQ salt in hopes he will get better. Another of my males started getting fin rot which I am also treating with salt. I have dealt with fin rot before so I'm not too worried about that one, just frustrated. But the dropsy on the other hand, I've never had a fish with a serious disease such as this so I am really hoping he is able to pull through. Especially since I've had him for so long. And as for non-betta related problems, my bonsai tree had been doing very well and now it is trying to die for some reason. So frustrating and discouraging when so many problems arise. I hope your luck gets better soon!
TaylerHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:27 PM   #4 
Zooxe

Everything has to get better once you hit bottom right?
Zooxe is offline   Reply With Quote