Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-05-2010, 09:56 PM   #11 
doubleatheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxabc View Post
Bettabob - wait till you get the in-water thermometer and see what it says. If it actually says 74 degrees, it's defective (not too rare with these type of heaters. Could be returned.)

Doubleatheman - What if someone's house just runs that hot? Lol. I think the smaller the tank, the warmer it will get with a heater. That's my logic anyway... lol. Mine is about 6*F higher.
I'm just getting at temp of the house should not cause a direct change in water temp (unless your house is drastically lower) the heater should heat the tank to a certain temp regardless of room temp, like normal heaters.

EX: your room is 72* the tank should keep in the range of 76-80.

EX2: Your room is 67* the tank should be in the range of 76-80 still. (if the tank is within the rated size)

EX3: your room is 75* the tank should still be 76-78, it would be hotter if the heater constantly kept the tank a certain temp above room temp.

This is all in theroy, I'm going to keep an eye on my tank temp and see how it goes. I keep my room anywhere from 58-67 at night depending on how I feel. If I need to be more constant for my Betta I will, but this heater should eliminate that need.
doubleatheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:08 PM   #12 
xxabc

Lol, yeah I know what you mean, I was just messing around a little. I know some people who run hot. Anyways in a preset heater, the temperature should be in the said-range regardless of...everything. Except for hydor heaters, and the such. LIke the Tetra 2-15 says its 78 +/-2, so it must be 78 +/-2. If not, *returned*.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:47 PM   #13 
doubleatheman

Quote:
Lol, yeah I know what you mean, I was just messing around a little. I know some people who run hot. Anyways in a preset heater, the temperature should be in the said-range regardless of...everything. Except for hydor heaters, and the such. Like the Tetra 2-15 says its 78 +/-2, so it must be 78 +/-2. If not, *returned*.
Mine is keeping my tank right at 76* I was thinking about returning it, but 76* is in the recommended range.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:49 PM   #14 
xxabc

I'm guessing it's the Tetra 2-15 heater? I have that one, and it's at 77. But that's probably because ethe light's been on for a while.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:38 PM   #15 
doubleatheman

Quote:
I'm guessing it's the Tetra 2-15 heater? I have that one, and it's at 77. But that's probably because ethe light's been on for a while.
Yep, I guess I do need to stop calling it the walmart heater, I found it in slighly diffrent packaging at my locally owned store for twice the price :(

I'm amazed how all of my stuff ended up
from walmart and petco after shopping about 7 stores in my area.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:32 AM   #16 
BettaBob

so it looks like the in water thermometer is reading right around 76*. I would like it to be 78 but i guess it does say +/- 2* so it is doing what it says. Do you guys think this will be alright or should i try another one maybe?
BettaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:03 AM   #17 
doubleatheman

Yeah my outside therms are saying 74 also. I have two because I found a unused one from about 10 years ago in our old fish suppies after I got a new one.

I'm going to see if I can find a internal therm. If it says 76 for me I'll keep the heater because it is in it's raited range. I hate to be wastefull, if the heater is good I don't want to return it. It's a judgment call for the both of us.

Last edited by doubleatheman; 03-06-2010 at 02:06 AM.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:05 AM   #18 
BettaBob

okay so i guess its safe to say the outside thermometers are a bit low. I think i will stick with this heater the fish seem to like the temperature just fine.
BettaBob is offline   Reply With Quote