Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-12-2013, 06:00 AM   #1 
Vergil

Betta feeding - Questions

Hi, so I'm new to the forum and to betta fish. The blue guy in my avvie is Shachihoko.

Anyway, I finally got my hands on a package of Hikari Bloodworms. I was wondering...

1.) Can they be stored in the same freezer as food? If so do they require special containers, etc.?

2.) Can I use the same block of bloodworms for more than one serving? How do I go about this?

I've read some have been able to use the same block and use it for up to a week. Others take up to 4 worms and throw out the rest of the block.

3.) I have those cheap red, white, and blue fish flakes and Azoo 9 in 1 Micro Floating Pellet. The latter is pretty pricey but should I feed both or stick to the Micro?

4.) Hiko eats a lot. Feeding instructions say everything he can gobble for up to 3 mins on the label. I don't do this but he can nom up to 6 micropellets per meal. Am I overfeeding? If so, how many do I feed? Hiko is 4-5 months old.
Vergil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:24 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

1. Yes, just keep them in their packaging is all.
2. Yes and no. Preferably you don't want to refreeze things but they can be put in the fridge if no one minds looking at worms in a cup or whatever, they can be stored for a few more day's in the fridge. I take out one block of worms and put it on a plate and chop it in half with a sharp knife (careful with this) and stick one half back in the container and keep it frozen while I thaw out the rest in room temp water.
3. If you can not use cheap food then don't, it would be better to use something else if you can get it or afford it. I highly suggest New Life Spectrum either Small Fish formula or Betta Formula which is pretty much the same in ingredients. It's not going to break your bank thankfully and it lasts forever But for now, just keep to the Micro, better to feed higher quality food than to try to vary things up by feeding lower quality.
4. Nope, you're not overfeeding! I feed mine until their belly get's nice and round and healthy looking. That's when I know the tank is full! It usually happens around 6-9 NLS pellet's or 5-ish bloodworms per meal. I only feed mine once a day though. It really depends on the pellet size and the fish, but I feel that feeding them until their tummy is nice and round and not flat looking is a good gauge since each fish is different. I had one that had some digestive issues and could only eat 3-4 pellets a day before looking bloated even while my other young boy can gobble up 10 easily!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:54 AM   #3 
Vergil

1.) Thank you! Good to know they're safe and he won't be needing a mini fridge just for himself.

2.) I ended up opening one packet already. I took a small piece from one corner with a sharp knife but taped the open bit back. Should I move those portions or are they fine in the freezer?

3.) It mentioned labyrinth fish in its label so I hope it's good. I don't really have other fish so should I throw out the cheap flakes?

4.) Oh good! I keep reading feed 2-3 pellets but he makes his fin dance where he basically asks for more food so I didn't want to starve him. I fasted him yesterday morning but gave some bloodworms tonight.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:02 AM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah, the bloodworms are totally fine ^_^ If the piece that you left in the freeze was still frozen when you put it back in, it's totally fine. What you don't want to do is thaw out an entire block and then refreeze it later for another day. That can start to introduce bacteria and other nasty things that you'd be feeding your fish which can make them sick.

Mind as well throw out the bad flakes. I kept mine but I don't really know why since I never use them haha, it's up to you. You can donate it to someone if they're really hurting for fish food, but it's all up to you.

Fasting is great too! Generally my fish get two fasting day's in a week just because i'm not there but one fasting day is just fine. I tend to feed the bloodworms and other heavy meals before the fasting day so they get to work that through their system during that day off
Old 11-12-2013, 08:07 AM   #5 
Vergil

Thanks. I'm noting all of what you're posting. :) The bad flakes aren't really doing anything but taking up more room but I guess throwing them at a local pond would be nice?

Should Hiko be fasting? I'm not sure if 4-5mos is old in betta fish terms but is it okay to withhold food from a growing fish?

I assume he's still growing.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:23 AM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah, local pond will like that ^_^ as long as it's got fish in it haha.

And yes Hiko can fast, once they hit maturity they can start fasting. Betta's generally hit maturity around 3.5-4 months of age. However, with your boy, have you had him since he was a fry or did you just buy him as an adult and guessing his age? If that's him in the avatar pic, he does look 5-6 months old but definitely needs to eat some more.

What you can do is actually feed him twice a day and still give him the fasting day. This will help him so he doesn't have to go a full 24 hours without food and will continue to grow healthily with the good food. With younger Betta's, anything over maturity basically it's a good idea to use twice a day feedings so they can continue to grow. He will continue to grow right up till around 9-10 months of age and then more in body size later on

Once he's grown out his fins and looks healthy, you can cut down to one feeding a day or continue on twice a day feeding's, it's all up to you and what you feel your Betta needs
Old 11-12-2013, 08:32 AM   #7 
Vergil

Well, there's plenty at the national park who'll be happy to feast then!

I'm new to fish and bettas. I actually bought Hiko on 4th Nov this year. I was told he was 4-5mos old by the seller. Yeah, he's kinda thin - at least I thought so. I'm feeding him twice a day and he eats 10-12 pellets daily. I use 2 feedings because he was fed twice daily at the shop.

So he's "mature" but he will still grow. Interesting. I thought he was little over baby/toddler age.

I only fasted him for half a day yesterday. It's his 8th day now. (:
Old 11-12-2013, 08:34 AM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Sounds good! Yeah, looks like a good feeding schedule
Old 11-12-2013, 08:38 AM   #9 
Vergil

Thank you so much for all your help! ^_^
Old 11-12-2013, 02:15 PM   #10