Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-12-2013, 11:10 AM   #11 
annyann

Well I went to Petco and Petsmart yesterday, I was actually planning to get a female or two for my sorority tank, but the few females that they had were very drab in color so I didn't get one. I also was PLANNING on resisting the urge to get a baby Betta for a couple more weeks, but I didn't do that either...
I saw this poor little baby and it looked like a cambodian like I was wanting to get later on. She was all starved and sunk in so I got her. I say her but it could be a boy, I have no idea.

lilnaugrim! What do you think? Cambodia maybe?

You can't see in the pic but she/he has red lipstick on! So cute, and the last pic is one I just took this morning. She looks a little better already I think. I have her in a specimen container floating inside my sorority tank, that way it will be easy for me to do the daily water changes and also she will be at a constant 79 degrees.
Attached Images

annyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #12 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Looks like a little baby boy to me! And yes, most likely a form of Cambodian! True Cambodian is very rare now but you can still get ones that usually have a blue iridescence over them (the original did not have the irid) and varying hues of red. Looks pretty healthy to me as well! Tiny, but healthy definitely do daily changes for him and he'll start sprouting like a weed in no time!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:37 PM   #13 
annyann

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Looks like a little baby boy to me! And yes, most likely a form of Cambodian! True Cambodian is very rare now but you can still get ones that usually have a blue iridescence over them (the original did not have the irid) and varying hues of red. Looks pretty healthy to me as well! Tiny, but healthy definitely do daily changes for him and he'll start sprouting like a weed in no time!
A BOY!! Wow I was betting it was a girl! Of course I have no idea how to tell at this age lol. Thank you so much for replying!
Old 11-12-2013, 04:33 PM   #14 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I has pictures! None of these are my fish though lol. First is another male Cambo

So this is the first male. Notice that he only has a bundle of organs right behind his head, that's his stomach mostly along with some other organs on top of it.

And now here I have the stomach outlined in red, it's the circular object and behind it is an empty cone. That's where the ovaries would be if it were indeed a female.

Here's another baby girl who turned out to be a beautiful cellophane marble girl. Note that she also has the stomach but there's a little yellow mass starting behind it, it doesn't look like it's just a stomach but there's something else sort of there.

And here's the same girl grown up a little more! Note the yellow cone has grown! You can see it's actually like a cone now!

Hope that helps!
Old 11-12-2013, 07:50 PM   #15 
annyann

It helps a massive amount, thank you! I got up close with a magnifying glass.. 0_o And there is no yellow behind the stomach, so my new little fish must be a dude haha. Thanks for helping me figure that out!
Old 11-12-2013, 08:32 PM   #16 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Sure! Np! Of course it's always easier in light colored fish ^_^ it can get super tricky with the darker colored ones haha
Old 11-12-2013, 09:24 PM   #17 
Chachi

Your baby looks just like my Houdini! He's the one Lilnaugrim used for reference in her post. You'll enjoy watching him grow! Mine is still pretty small though and I've had him for almost 2 months!
Chachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:41 AM   #18 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

^_^ hope you don't mind Chachi, I used yours and two of Mysti from Huffle_Puffle as well