Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-13-2013, 06:37 AM   #1821 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Welcome back TOC! Phoenix has grown up beautifully!!! Congratulations!!

And @alyymarie, egg spots do not denote a male from a female in the Betta world. Male betta's often have imitator ovipositer's or false egg spots to confuse us basically. Some lose them after maturity but there's actually quite a bit who keep them past maturity and forever. So you have to look for the ovaries behind the stomach, they will be a triangular shape, usually yellow-ish in color.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:18 PM   #1822 
alyymarie

Yeah I know it's not a definite indicator, it's still just a guess so far. She's way too dark for me to check for ovaries xp
alyymarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:22 PM   #1823 
Bethany

About a month ago my beautiful 6yr old king betta (King Bob) died :( leaving is well establish 10gal realm and two algae eaters without a ruler. What was I to do? I knew I wanted another betta but I was willing to wait for the right one to come along. Then while getting dog food at Petco yesterday I decided to swing by the bettas. That is when I was struck in the heart by beauty, cuteness, and love! A beautiful baby boy (pretty sure he is a boy) black with red fin and black tips. He is big and I am pretty sure he will be another king! I now have Kind Fishy in the well established 10gal tank. First thing he did was establish his dominance over the algae eaters (who submissive clean the opposite side of the tank then the one he is on now) and settled in nice and cozy. After reading up on the care of babies I turned the tank up to a toasty 82 degrees and am feeding him crushed pellets 3x a day. I couldn't be happier with my little angle <3
Bethany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:33 PM   #1824 
Zooxe

I wish my petco selled babies :\ I love the thought of buying a baby betta and having it for 6 years, that is a kind of bond that i dont think most people would understand :)
Zooxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:38 PM   #1825 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Bethany, congrats on the new boy and sorry to hear about your King boy! However, I do doubt that your new boy is a King, just an older boy than the other's who were there. They aren't all from the same spawn and he could have been there a lot longer so he just grew a little bit.

And Zooxe, unfortunately PetCo babies don't last as long. Yes they can live up to 2 years maybe 3 if started out right. But depending on which baby you get, they've already gone through a huge trauma being shipped and then depending on how long they've been in the PetCo cups, they are severely stunted which often leads to early deaths. But you still get the satisfaction of growing some animal on your own if your baby is luck enough to make it to adulthood
Old 11-14-2013, 06:52 PM   #1826 
Zooxe

Cool

We should all band together then and steal all the bettas :X. VIVA LA REVOLUCION!
Zooxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:55 PM   #1827 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

lol
Old 11-14-2013, 07:00 PM   #1828 
Bethany

lilnaugrim- True He may not be a king, and I wouldn't be sad if he isn't. I just think it would be really cool if he is. Thank you for the congrats and the condolences :)
Bethany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:27 PM   #1829 
alyymarie

Does anyone have an opinion on Omega One Betta Buffet flakes for babies? This is what my baby seems to like the most, not very interested in pellets. I also throw in some veggie flakes and bloodworms for variety, but flakes is what he mostly eats.
alyymarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:34 PM   #1830 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

The flakes will be fine. I would try to get NLS flakes instead though. Finding out that Omega isn't all it's cracked up to be, it's still a good food compared to many other's, NLS is just better but yes, Omega will be fine for the baby. Veggie flakes are not needed as Betta's are insectivores which means basically carnivores so no need for veggies. Bloodworms are good though, crush them if you need.

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta