Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-13-2013, 04:19 PM   #21 
Ilovebettasbk11

And I don't really want to add too much to the bowl either
Ilovebettasbk11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:44 PM   #22 
redthebetta

How often do you do water changes? You may want to think about a filtered tank; much less maintenance.
redthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:49 PM   #23 
Ilovebettasbk11

No no I don't mind changing it's water I just don't want too many things on the bowl

I will change it like every Friday
Old 11-13-2013, 04:50 PM   #24 
redthebetta

You will need to change it WAY more then that, I would say a 25-50% twice a week and a 100% one a week.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:52 PM   #25 
Ilovebettasbk11

Uh huh ok
Old 11-13-2013, 04:58 PM   #26 
redthebetta

And for a heater, check this one out: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInCA%2FNo
Old 11-13-2013, 05:00 PM   #27 
Ilovebettasbk11

I am sticking to every Friday changing its water I saw it that's the one I love to get
Old 11-13-2013, 05:15 PM   #28 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovebettasbk11 View Post
Anyways I will go to petsmart and look and ask I just want something easy to put on and take out when I change it's water

I was also thinking to just do add warm water
Adding warm water isn't enough. Think about it this way: you'll add in the warm water (and getting it to the right temperature is tricky), then it will cool down. Then you'll add in more warm water - the temperature will keep changing. A fluctuating temperature is dangerous for a betta, even more so than a temperature that is too hot or cold. If the change is too sudden, it can shock the betta fatally.
The only safe way to heat a tank is a heater.

I know you said you don't want to put too much in there, but think about it from the betta's perspective - all that open space means that he is vulnerable to predators. You and I know that there aren't any, but he doesn't - without places to hide, he's going to be on alert all the time and won't be nearly as happy and comfortable. And a stressed betta has a compromised immnune system - again, that means a greater likelihood that he will get sick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovebettasbk11 View Post
I am sticking to every Friday changing its water I saw it that's the one I love to get
If you stick to every Friday, your water is going to get filthy. Your bowl does not look very big - a gallon at most. When your betta poops or urinates, the stuff he expels will break down into ammonia. You can't see it, but he can feel it. Higher levels of ammonia in the water mean - you guessed it - a compromised immune system. If the levels get too high, he could suffer from fin rot, ich, or ammonia burns, all of which are painful. Further, ammonia in the water can make it painful for him to breathe.

Changing it one a week could also potentially shock him, due to the difference in water chemistry. He'll go from being in dirty water to clean too quickly to properly adjust.

By all means, change it every Friday, but you really ought to add in at least one 50% change mid-week, as well - perhaps on a Tuesday.

I know it seems like we're asking a lot of you, but it's really not that much. Ten minutes to change some water, an extra plant and a heater - that's doable. :) And, an important part of responsible pet ownership is putting the animal's needs before your own preferences. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:44 PM   #29 
Ilovebettasbk11

Well um nice talking to you guys I know now what I am gonna do