Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-10-2013, 04:06 PM   #1 
Nightwisp

Exclamation Divided 10g or two 5.5g?

I am currently visiting my girlfriend and we have discovered that the two bettas (Hermes and Narcissus) she has are having severe tail biting issues (Narcissus especially) and Hermes was trying to jump the divider. So, I was planning on taking Hermes originally but that plan seems to be happening sooner than expected. Narcissus is now by himself and content in his tank where we will be watching him carefully in hopes his tail heals well and he is no longer biting.

I have a dilemma, though. I have another betta at home (Gavroche) that I am trying to get into a bigger tank as soon as possible. I'm wondering if I should get a 10g tank and divide it, like I have with Triton and Pallaton, or get two 5.5g tanks for them to each have to themselves. The 10g + divider is cheaper than the two 5.5g and, being in college, money is on a budget. I'm concerned, however, that if I get the 10g and divide it that this will occur again because both Gavroche and Hermes are very aggressive. I'm wondering if there is a cheap alternative to the in store divider that is opaque enough that they likely won't see each other. Or, for safety reasons, should I just go with the two 5.5g tanks? It'll be harder to get any decor if I do the two rather than the one. So, I'm kind of stuck.

Any suggestions?
Nightwisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:52 PM   #2 
Bombalurina

You could try making a moss-wall divider yourself. The water will still flow through, but the fish won't be able to see each other, and you'll have a lovely, decorative, living wall. :)

To make it, you sandwich java moss (or another type of aquatic moss, but java is cheapest) between two layers of craft mesh, and slide it into the tank using binder spines. It will look a bit ugly until it grows in, but when it does, it will look spectacular. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:31 AM   #3 
Hallyx
Reference Team

The Betta would prefer a 5g tank each. It gives them more room to swim. And in a shallower tank it's easier to get to the top to breath.

Here's how to make mesh dividers like Bombalurina has described.
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/d...ividers-21866/
Use two.

Put the filter and heater between them because...

---They can't see each other
---They won't be able to jump it
---Evens out the heat and flow
---Hides the plumbing
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:20 AM   #4 
rickey
Banned

I prefer 2 over 1 simply because if 1 tank became destabilize for whatever reason it does affect the other tank.

R
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #5 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

I ran tubing over the top of my dividers so they fit snugly against the canopy and it stopped the jumping. I prefer a divided tank because it means one water change, one testing and one dose of Flourish and Excel.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:33 PM   #6 
Nightwisp

I ended up getting a 10g and will be dividing it. I've yet to get the divider but I will be using two of the mesh/report cover in hopes it will further hinder their view and I would love to try a moss wall in the future when I am able to obtain some aquatic moss.

Thanks for everyone's help!
Nightwisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:44 AM   #7 
kyle89

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickey View Post
I prefer 2 over 1 simply because if 1 tank became destabilize for whatever reason it does affect the other tank.

R
I have to agree. Plus for filtration I would use sponge filters. Only need 1 pump and a gang valve. Only thing you would need two of is the heaters and sponge filters (which can be made)
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aggressive males, divider, i'm stuck, please help, tail biting