Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-13-2013, 09:04 AM   #1 
countyrd419

Question Rusty's Peculiar Behavior

The last few days I have noticed that Rusty opens his mouth wide while he sometimes floats in his tank. He then closes it and continues swimming. What does this mean
countyrd419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:24 PM   #2 
EvaJupiterSkies

Tycho's been doing this occasionally too. I'll catch him doing it about twice a day. I've been monitoring his ammonia levels and behavior as he does it, and I've come to the conclusion that he's a healthy fish, and I don't know why he does it.

Since I got Rowan the snail in with him, he's also been acting like a snail, so my fish also might be a bit special, but... you're not the only one with a yawning betta.
EvaJupiterSkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:54 PM   #3 
countyrd419

can a more experience betta owner please educate me and evajupiterskies about why my fish Rusty and her fish Tycho do this? Is this a sign that our water parameters are not right?
Old 11-13-2013, 06:19 PM   #4 
soundwave

Does it look like he's yawning? I think that's normal behavior.
soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:42 PM   #5 
Smithians

I have noticed this behavior in Betta Splendens as well, and upon some online research, I came to an assumption that the specimens must have been yawning out of fatigue or boredom as similar incidents occurred with others around the country when their tanks were bland. I added more plants and decorations to their quarters to test whether or not this was the trigger of their 'yawning' and the behavior ceased to continue afterwards, which convinced me that this must have been the cause behind their unusual behavior.

Be warned, I'm in no way an expert or scientist. I could be completely wrong, but I'm merely making you aware of my own experiences while I attempted to crack down on whatever the behavior was. Perhaps someone who is more educated can correct me if I'm wrong?

Last edited by Smithians; 11-13-2013 at 06:50 PM. Reason: I'm a grammar Nazi.
Smithians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:46 PM   #6 
Zooxe

haha, my betta does the same thing sometimes.
Zooxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:50 PM   #7 
Zooxe

I think he does it when he is tired though because Atlas get pissed at everything around 7 PM, he also starts "yawning" around this time too. He is such a spoiled little fish.
Zooxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:43 PM   #8 
EvaJupiterSkies

I have noticed since getting my snail and adding another plant, Tycho seems to be doing it less. He is now best friends with Rowan, and... of course as I'm typing this, he does it. My, that was a big yawn! My silly boy. :P
Old 11-14-2013, 07:06 PM   #9 
EvaJupiterSkies

I will say that the last couple of hours I've been watching him, he's been doing the yawn thing, but doing it multiple times in a row, like something's up with his gills. I haven't been over flaring him (I only exercise him for 10-15 seconds at a time). There doesn't appear to be any connection between that and his going up for air either.

So, paranoid me did a few things. I took out the anubias that refuses to thrive out of his tank (it's kind of melting on me... the one in Esmeralda's tank is great, the one in his is just... bleh), and threw that in .5 gallon QT tank for some observation. I also gave him a 90% WC and good dose of AQ salt. Pretty sure it's not ammonia anything, tests show I'm at .02ppm (I WC as soon as it hits .05ppm).

He's still cruising his tank like he always has, still has an appetite... he has been hanging out near the bottom, but this behavior is in direct correlation and proximity to his new snail buddy, who has yet to make any forays off of the ground (though he's moving around doing his thing too), so I'm thinking that's just Tycho hanging with his friend.

I wish fish could talk.

EDIT: water parameters from Sunday, LPS tested: pH 7.6, 0's for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, 10 for GH and 8 for KH.

Last edited by EvaJupiterSkies; 11-14-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:13 PM   #10 
countyrd419

As long as he is swimming, that is good sign that he is okay. If just sits at the bottom for long periods of time or fins are clamped then you will know something is wrong.