Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Spawn Logs
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-10-2013, 09:19 PM   #71 
bryanacute

Wait where do you ship to, if you do at all? That green-eyed baby as made its way into my heart?
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:05 AM   #72 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm glad you feel the way you do about culling, Matt. You have a good heart. I sometimes take in culls that no one wants. I have one that almost went into the breeding tank and the breeder changed her mind. Nothing wrong with the fish she just changed her mind about what direction she wanted to go with her breeding. She also sent me a little copper girl with no vents and she's very tiny but she's a cute and sweet girl. Another boy I got after a failed breeding attempt and the female beat up on him. He's a little showoff and loves to show off his beautiful fins. Lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:14 AM   #73 
bryanacute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I'm glad you feel the way you do about culling, Matt. You have a good heart. I sometimes take in culls that no one wants. I have one that almost went into the breeding tank and the breeder changed her mind. Nothing wrong with the fish she just changed her mind about what direction she wanted to go with her breeding. She also sent me a little copper girl with no vents and she's very tiny but she's a cute and sweet girl. Another boy I got after a failed breeding attempt and the female beat up on him. He's a little showoff and loves to show off his beautiful fins. Lol
That's a thing that I want to do. I also don't believe in culling. I just think it is wrong.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-11-2013, 10:22 AM   #74 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Thank you both

Culling is necessary to get quality fish and EVERY breeder culls... Culling does not always mean killing though. When you sell a fish you are removing it from your breeding stock, and thus culling it. I just choose to cull by rehoming the fish rather then killing it, which I believe is wrong.

Bryana, I will only be shipping within Canada... Sorry. I'll make sure to get and post more pictures of the fish as they grow up though .
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #75 
bryanacute

I am looking forward to see what the green-eyed boy looks like!
Old 11-11-2013, 08:02 PM   #76 
dramaqueen
Banned

I understand that it's necessary to cull those that are severely deformed and wouldn't be able to have a good life.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:10 PM   #77 
hollyk

I'm also in love with that green eyed baby. I wish I lived in Canada (or that you didn't live in Canada! haha) I would love one of your fish. In any case, this is a fantastic log; I'm loving watching them grow up and it's helping me know a little more of what to expect when my time comes to breed Pip and Estella.

I also appreciate your culling practices. I won't have the heart to kill a fish that doesn't live up to "standards". I'm prepared to have fish that won't be breeding/show quality. If Mother Nature doesn't cull fish on her own, as long as the fish stands a decent chance at living a good life, it's going to live. I think there are more people out there than one might expect to take such fish, too. I know that I, for one, am more likely to take a fish that no one wants just because I feel sorry for the darn thing. But anyways, just wanted to throw in my support and appreciation that you don't slaughter fish that aren't up to par. Even ugly bettas can make great pets!
hollyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:12 PM   #78 
hollyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyk View Post
I'm also in love with that green eyed baby. I wish I lived in Canada (or that you didn't live in Canada! haha) I would love one of your fish. In any case, this is a fantastic log; I'm loving watching them grow up and it's helping me know a little more of what to expect when my time comes to breed Pip and Estella.

I also appreciate your culling practices. I won't have the heart to kill a fish that doesn't live up to "standards". I'm prepared to have fish that won't be breeding/show quality. If Mother Nature doesn't cull fish on her own, as long as the fish stands a decent chance at living a good life, it's going to live. I think there are more people out there than one might expect to take such fish, too. I know that I, for one, am more likely to take a fish that no one wants just because I feel sorry for the darn thing. But anyways, just wanted to throw in my support and appreciation that you don't slaughter fish that aren't up to par. Even ugly bettas can make great pets!
Then again, I don't know if I've ever seen an "ugly" betta...
hollyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:45 AM   #79 
dramaqueen
Banned

The 'ugly 'ones have the most personality.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:50 AM   #80 
logisticsguy

Ive made a couple of mistakes as a breeder. There is a tank with my mistakes from when I caused sbd to about 12 fish in one of my spawns. They live a very normal life together other than swimming like they have rocks in their pockets. Could not cull them because it was my fault. To keep from culling as a breeder it is good to have an in with a lfs who will buy the non breeders from you. I admire Matts integrity and ethics regarding culling. Its much easier to just to breed hard and cull hard.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote