Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-14-2013, 12:12 AM   #1 
brio444

Betta in an office?

Hi there! I'm sorry if this has been answered somewhere before, but I'm searching and can't find it. I have had a number of bettas before, all one at a time, at home. We haven't had one here for a while, but my 5 year old son just got one for his birthday as a present... So off to the pet store to get a new tank and all the accessories I couldn't find. And then I saw *him*, tentatively named Gillifrey. He's a beautiful... I don't know what, but he has lots of tail and he's very iridescent. Anyway, I had the brilliant idea to bring him to my office (in another new 2G aquarium).

BUT, now I'm freaking out about weekends and feedings. Can he go all weekend without food? Are there weekender feeder drop-in things that he'll like? Is that even an okay solution for EVERY weekend? (I always thought those were probably the equivalent of leaving your kids pizza money. Probably delicious so they'll actually eat, but not super great for them.)

I'm also going to stop at the petstore tomorrow and grab a programmable heater. Good thing he's cute.

brio444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:22 AM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

He will be fine without food for the weekend. Many people fast their fish once a week and they don't get food everyday in the wild, so two days won't hurt them.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:28 AM   #3 
Aquatail

He's a gorgeous boy! :) Good luck with him!
Aquatail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:22 AM   #4 
rickey
Banned

Both of my bettas are at the office, because they won't let me keep a big boy aquarium. Just keep in mind what the envo is like at your office on weekends. In my office there is little heater or air conditioning on weekends. I have never had a problem with either of these fish, although they are very happy to see me on Monday morning. My biggest problem is I have many fish lovers at work, people don't come by the lab to see me they come to say Hi to the Bettas.
R
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:24 AM   #5 
bettacrazygirl86

I'm sure he would be fine over the weekends without food. Plenty of people fast their bettas for a day or two during the week anyway, so as long as you make sure you feed him every day you're there and keep his water warm and clean, he should be fine. :)

I totally get what the user before me said about people liking the bettas more than the people, though. I have a tank in my dorm room, and people constantly stop by just to sit at my desk and watch my fish, rather than hang out with me.
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:30 AM   #6 
brio444

Awesome. Thanks guys!

I stopped in Petsmart to get a heater and thermometer (tanks was only 71 this morning, no wonder Gilligrey looks pissed) and found an "automatic daily betta feeder" which I might try. It looks a bit absurd.

I also found a new friend. I shouldn't have looked. But he seemed so EAGER. And look at him:

He'll be coming home with me.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:14 PM   #7 
MCW

Love the coloring on both fish

If you need another tank, there's a good 6.6 gallon on sale (81% off!) online. The thread with the info is here: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=298425 Someone has a review in progress of the tank here: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=301361

Does the office close for major holidays? Where I work, we get an entire week off from Christmas Eve through New Years. If you can't get into the office on a long holiday break, then an auto feeder is a good idea. And check to be sure that the electricity won't be turned off for maintenance purposes or anything.
MCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:39 PM   #8 
brio444

I'm in a law office, so we don't close too long over holidays - at most long weekends. We DO get a few (like 2-3/year) no-power weekends, but always with advance notice (when they're doing construction) somewhere in our range of floors. I figure worst case scenario, if they're going to that over a winter weekend, I'll take him on a field trip.

Can anyone tell me what Gillifrey is? He was labeled as a doubletail halfmoon, but I don't even see that as a possibility. He does have two tail lobes (you can see where they overlap in the middle). I'm guessing maybe doubletail super delta? Pastel colored?

And... nameless (working on it! Need another Doctor Who nod)... multicolored (almost a bit marbled?) super delta? (he was labeled half moon, but he's not 180 degrees) You can see the maybe marbles a bit more here:

Old 11-14-2013, 01:02 PM   #9 
lexyfly

You should name him Adipose or weeping angel if you are going for Doctor who names. I think he looks like a delta but I am no expert. He appears to just be
multicolored not marbled. Like I said I am no expert I am still learning to identify betta fish. Nameless is very beautiful! Such a good find!
lexyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:11 PM   #10 
Zooxe

WOAH, love the colors on both fish! and he should be fine at the office over the weekends, just make sure to feed him when you get back on monday :)
Zooxe is offline   Reply With Quote