Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-13-2013, 05:55 PM   #41 
Lefitte

Oh and do note that his fins were very short from being sick before this and hadn't grown back yet. So the amount he's lost to this finrot is actually very little. Little enough that I just noticed it the past couple of days. I'll definitely look into the medicine.
Lefitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:05 PM   #42 
Bombalurina

The bad news is, that's bad. The good news is, I've seen worse, and I've seen fish recover from it. My halfmoon lost his tail almost up to his body - with daily changes, Indian Almond Leaves, warm water and Stress Guard, it grew back. I also encouraged him to flare daily for a few minutes with a mirror - that seemed to be the clincher. Once I started doing that, improvement was rapid. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:09 PM   #43 
ANHEL123

Its not even that the fins are short , its just fin rot is very bad:( He has infection going on , and it severe case unfortunately. And it contagious to your other betta too. If you going to use medication you will need to use a few coursed of it,so if you use one do not stop after first course. Meanwhile i would do salt. Just need to separate your platy. So sorry for all trouble , i feel bad but you doing good job.
Oh and of course i am late didn't see last post ;)
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:13 PM   #44 
Lefitte

Ooh flaring would be good even while sick? I have a floating mirror toy but I haven't been using it since he got worse. He's never really been one to flare but he's incredibly curious about things. I'll try that and see how he does. Can I use the NovAqua instead of Stress Guard or something similar? I'm not sure how similar they are.

You say warm water, how warm? I planning to lower the temp since that was suggested too.
And do you think the Indian Almond Leaf and Stress Coat would be better than salt and medicine? Trying to decide the best course of action.

The only things I share between, I rinse with steaming hot water and let dry between uses (like the gravel hose and cups). That should prevent any disease from spreading, right?

I think we'll be going to the store tonight so I can get a few things. One good thing about my work hours is the multiple days off.

Pst, its a pleco, not a platy.

Last edited by Lefitte; 11-13-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:45 PM   #45 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefitte View Post
Ooh flaring would be good even while sick? I have a floating mirror toy but I haven't been using it since he got worse. He's never really been one to flare but he's incredibly curious about things. I'll try that and see how he does. Can I use the NovAqua instead of Stress Guard or something similar? I'm not sure how similar they are.
I'm not familiar with NovAqua, but if it contains some sort of de-stressing agent, or claims to de-stress fish, you may as well.
I used the mirror on the advice of a friend - she had a betta who had lost his tail due to bitey tankmates. He showed very little regrowth until she started exercising him - after that, his tail grew very well. I had the same experience with my fin-rotty boy. :) It might not work for every fish, but I think it might help.

Quote:
You say warm water, how warm? I planning to lower the temp since that was suggested too.
And do you think the Indian Almond Leaf and Stress Coat would be better than salt and medicine? Trying to decide the best course of action.
I would keep the water around 84-86.
At this stage, the poor boy has been subjected to a fair amount of salt - if it's been more than 10 days since the initial treatment, it will begin to lose its effectiveness as Chi adjusts to it. Prolonged use can also damage the kidneys, I believe. If it's just finrot that he's battling now, I'd go back to natural methods. IAL and lots of warm, clean water.

Quote:
The only things I share between, I rinse with steaming hot water and let dry between uses (like the gravel hose and cups). That should prevent any disease from spreading, right?
I would also clean it in bleach or vinegar, just to be sure - or better yet, just find something else for cleaning the non-infected tank. :)
Old 11-13-2013, 06:59 PM   #46 
Lefitte

Ooh I think that I will continue trying with the mirror then. It's at least some stimulation. I tried it a few minutes ago and he completely ignored it but I think that he's a little worn out from chasing his food around right now [he keeps missing and has to figure out how to try again].

He was on salt last month but I stopped about two weeks ago and he hasn't had any since then. I also did a 100% water change around that time. It may still have less of an effect though. It really does seem to make him feel better though. He was on it for about two weeks before that so I'm worried about the prolonged exposure. The more I read about IAL, the more I'm liking the idea regardless of medicine or not.

As for cleaning, is vinegar as harmful as bleach? Do you have to be as careful?
Old 11-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #47 
Bombalurina

If that's the case, doing another ten days of salt should be fine. :)

IAL is great! I love it - I frequently use it even when my fish are healthy.

I believe vinegar is considered less risky, but you still want to be very careful with it. :)
Old 11-13-2013, 08:08 PM   #48 
Lefitte

I ordered some IAL from Amy Lim on Ebay but they won't arrive for a couple of weeks. I think I'll just continue the salt and water changes that I have going for now. I'll have to get some tupperware another day unless I can find something appropriate to use until then. Even if I sanitize some tupperware we already have with bleach or vinegar or boiling or a mixture of those, I don't feel safe putting plastic in the tank when I know it's been washed with soap so that's not an option to me. I'm going to do a water change and look around for options for Alby.
Thanks for the help guys! I really appreciate it!
I really think that Chi has some major immune system issues from poor breeding. Though I haven't been the sole caretaker of the bettas we've had before, we've never ever had so many problems and I feel like the places I've failed as a caretaker don't add up all the way for all of his problems. It doesn't help that he's a tail biter. I'm a firm believer in 'you might not get the pet you want, but you get the one you need' and I've certainly had a crash course in fish care with him. More than I would have learned if he wasn't such a sickly fish.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:17 AM   #49 
ANHEL123

I think you are very good trying to help your pets the best you can. And yes all pets can get sick at any time or already come sick . So it understandable that any animal or fish , or human can get sick any time no matter how right care you give them. We do the best we can, i like to take all precautions though. In the fish situation i guess the first precautions will be not sharing stuff between all fishy, and make sure you trust your store when you but those live plants, because it can bring ich with the water, if the store share the water for the plant with the water from sick fish.
Btw what bring to my attention is that your first fish lived for 6 years in a vase without filter. And the funny is that so many people trying so hard to give their bettas bigger tanks, filters, plants ...etc..and still have a problem. And i just have so simple tanks (10 betta) without filters, and my bettas live long happy life . I also have old bettas too. One is already older than 5 years old(he is older). And it funny also that i did had 10 gall tank with the filter (my first betta) that live only for a year.
So we all have our different experience and we base our advice on that.
Keep us updated please.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:31 AM   #50 
rickey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
Btw what bring to my attention is that your first fish lived for 6 years in a vase without filter. And the funny is that so many people trying so hard to give their bettas bigger tanks, filters, plants ...etc..and still have a problem. And i just have so simple tanks (10 betta) without filters, and my bettas live long happy life . I also have old bettas too. One is already older than 5 years old(he is older). And it funny also that i did had 10 gall tank with the filter (my first betta) that live only for a year.
So we all have our different experience and we base our advice on that.
Keep us updated please.
Just goes to show you, there isn't a right or wrong way. It's what works best for you and your circumstance. I believe a lot of problems people have is a result of making it to complicated.
R
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote