Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-10-2013, 06:09 PM   #1 
BalthySaurus

Two problems

So I've recently gotten Balthazar completely settled into his new tank. It took a couple of days, but I think his set up is pretty much complete for now. However I've noticed that ever since I put the background on the tank, he's been flaring at it every so often. I was wondering why he does that and if it's stressing him out at all? He's still eating and he doesn't flare at it all the time... This is what it looks like.

For anyone who knows the show Supernatural, the background is the Season Nine title card. I just printed it off the internet and taped it to the back of the tank.

My second problem is that Christmas break is fast approaching, but I will be unable to take Balthazar home with me since I live six hours away. I've already started asking around for people to babysit him for me, but everyone else I know is leaving town as well. :/
I'm going to be gone for a little more than two weeks, and that's a little too long to leave him without feeding or a water change I think... I'm pretty worried about how he's gonna survive the holidays.
BalthySaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #2 
sainthogan

He is probably seeing his reflection. He's not flaring at the background, but rather his reflection that is being caused by the background.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:41 PM   #3 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Are you driving home? If so, you can take him with you.
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:08 PM   #4 
BalthySaurus

That makes sense, sainthogan. Thank you!

And no, I'm not driving home. I'm taking a bus or catching a ride with several friends, not to mention it'll be 6 hours in the winter and without his heater on the drive I'm worried he'll freeze.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:24 PM   #5 
Aquatail

I have a few suggestions about keeping him a little warmer on the drive. Depending on the size of the container he will be in you could put a bag of warm water in with him so it will keep the water a bit warmer. That wouldn't really work if his container is smaller, though. I highly suggest wrapping him in towels or blankets as well.
Aquatail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:27 AM   #6 
BalthySaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatail View Post
I have a few suggestions about keeping him a little warmer on the drive. Depending on the size of the container he will be in you could put a bag of warm water in with him so it will keep the water a bit warmer. That wouldn't really work if his container is smaller, though. I highly suggest wrapping him in towels or blankets as well.
I may just have to do that. I'll definitely keep those suggestions in mind, he's in a smallish tank right now, (I'm not sure how many gallons but it's 12 inches long, 8 inches high, and about 6 inches wide).

If I took half the water out for the journey and put in a plastic bag full of warm water, and had his lid on and wrap the tank in a towel, do you think that would keep him warm enough the whole way?

I'm also worried that if I end up catching a ride with my cousin, there's gonna be a dog in the car too and I don't want her trying to get into the tank and terrorizing him. Although there may be a way to keep her away if he stays in the back seat and she stays in the front.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:20 PM   #7 
Aquatail

I've never moved a fish so I really don't know how warm it will keep him. These suggestions are what I found when I was worried about a power outage. But it would definitely keep him warmer than doing nothing. Since you're on such a long ride, make sure to check and take the warm bag out when it's no longer warm. I'm not sure how long it will stay warm though. Also, according to a calculator I found you're tank is about 2.5 gallons. Many people have moved fish, so I suggest searching around a little for some more tricks. :)

As for the dog, if she's anything like my dog, she may try to stick her nose in the tank. Is there a box or something you can put the tank in so the dog can't get to it and air can still get to the tank? A closed box with air holes maybe? You can wrap the tank in towels, put it in the box, make air holes and close the box.
Aquatail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:55 PM   #8 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Put the tank in a closed box, wrap a couple of heat packs in newspaper and he should do great. Even if your cousin doesn't run the heat at all there should be no problem. Lower the water level enough so it doesn't slosh out.

Take a gallon or two of treated water with you to fill his tank when you get him settled and for any water change you may need to do. To heat the water, just put in a sink of hot water and monitor temperature.

People ship fish all winter long in little bags in styrofoam-lined boxes with wrapped heat packs.

And Aquatail is correct: 2.5 gallons (L x H x W divided by 231).
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:01 PM   #9 
BalthySaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTheShihTzu View Post
Put the tank in a closed box, wrap a couple of heat packs in newspaper and he should do great. Even if your cousin doesn't run the heat at all there should be no problem. Lower the water level enough so it doesn't slosh out.

Take a gallon or two of treated water with you to fill his tank when you get him settled and for any water change you may need to do. To heat the water, just put in a sink of hot water and monitor temperature.

People ship fish all winter long in little bags in styrofoam-lined boxes with wrapped heat packs.

And Aquatail is correct: 2.5 gallons (L x H x W divided by 231).
Thank you so much for the advice! I'll definitely keep this in mind if I end up having to take him home with me. I feel a lot better now knowing there's a way I can do it safely.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:33 PM   #10 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I have a different take on this. In a half-full (half-empty?) tank, the water will be sloshing around, perhaps sloshing him into the walls or into the gravel, whatever. In any case, it would be uncomfortable even if not dangerous.

If I were doing it I'd put him in a baggy or fish bag (if you can get one) half-filled with 85* water. Fill several baggies with 85* water and put them in the tank. Wrap your fish-in-the-bag in a towel. Put him in the tank with the warm water bags. Don't worry abut air. They ship them like that all over the world.

Happy holidays. Have a nice trip.

Last edited by Hallyx; 11-15-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
care, flaring, holidays, tank background