Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-12-2013, 11:31 PM   #1 
Kambria

Exclamation multiple wounds.. it's bad.

My betta has always nibbled his tail but recently during moving to my new apartment.. his tank was knocked over and he was on the ground. My boyfriend loves this fish and I love all my betta like children so we freaked out. He grabbed the fish as gently as possible- super slippery- and got him back in his water. After this I noticed some small wounds on his tail. I've monitored him and made sure to keep the tank clean and warm... I'm horrified to put aquarium salt in the tank but I've read that a lot of people say to do it.

10g tank, 2 1/2inch betta and 3-4inch pleco girl, filtered and lit, 75degrees. He eats pellets and has bloodworms once a week. Hes fat and eats pleco food so I space days between feedings. I don't have a ph kit and never have, probably never will... I don't get it u_u

But what should I do?? Vday my fish will be one year with us. He's a part of the family and I don't want him suffering.
Attached Images

Kambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:49 AM   #2 
cowboy

I am no expert so hopefully someone else responds but I would think stress coat plus would help.
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:50 AM   #3 
Aquatail

Is it just his tail that's ripped up a bit? It doesn't look too bad from the pictures. If he's having trouble reaching the top for air you can lower the water level. I would also suggest covering his tank for a while to lower stress. Like cowboy suggested, Stress Coat is a good idea if you have it. It may take a few days for him to act normally again. I'd keep an eye on him for other injuries. For his fins, keep him in warm, clean water and they will heal in time.

There's no need to add Aquarium Salt. Right now I think it would cause more harm than good. For future reference though, AQ Salt is recommended for external issues like fin rot and some parasites. As long as you don't put in too much, there's no need to be horrified. :)

Hope your boy is doing alright.

Last edited by Aquatail; 11-14-2013 at 12:53 AM.
Aquatail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:53 AM   #4 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Clean, warm water and he'll be fine. No need for aq salt.

By the way, ten gallons is pretty small for a pleco, especially if it is the common type. There are plenty of other fish bettas can live with in a ten gallon that would be more happy in that size of a tank.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:03 PM   #5 
Kambria

The pleco is full grown at 4 inches and she honestly seems to love the tank and space. She's always out enjoying it. She's a bristlenose?? The store and internet said that's full grown anyways.. I did see Some huge cat sized ones and I steared clear of them haha.

As far as his fins his top one has some bloody spots, his butt area seems more red and his bottom fun is the worse. I a dded a little sress coat asap but haven't added more. Ill add a little more today.
He seems ok though, swims normal and can reach the top.
Kambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:20 PM   #6 
Aquatail

It's great that he seems ok. Honestly, I'm not sure about the red spots, but looking closer at the photos I can definitely see what you're talking about. I'd keep his water extra clean to help them heal. I'm not sure what else may help them, though. Sorry.
Aquatail is offline   Reply With Quote