Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-05-2010, 07:37 AM   #1 
patmacd

SOS - My Lyndon is very sick

I've had my betta, Lyndon, for almost a year and until about a month ago he was very healthy. I keep him in a 1/2 gallon tank with a small artificial silk plant and aquarium gravel on the bottom. I use filtered water from the refrigerator and let it sit overnight before changing the tank. The temperature in the tank is usually 73 degrees and I change his water once a week. I can't use a heater because the smallest one I can find is for tanks 2.5 gallons and larger. A little over a month ago I bought new gravel and the problems seem to have started afterwards. I noticed the water was getting very cloudy so I changed him twice a week. He developed popeye in one eye, so I started treating him with Maracyn 2. After 3 days, it didn't seem to be getting any better, so I bought him a new gallon tank made for bettas with a light and small filter. The light brings the temperature of the water to 76 degrees, but if I turn it off overnight as recommended, it drops to 72-73. I went to a specialty fish store and they gave me something called Betta Revive which says it prevents and controls protozoan, bacterial and fungal diseases. I've now used it for five days and my betta is worse. He still has popeye and now has small white spots on the other eye which I think might be ick, although I don's see spots on any other parts of his body. He's not eating and is very lethargic. I've put him back in his little 1/2 gallon tank where he was always comfortable, went back to using the Maracyn 2 and have added aquarium salt to the water. I'm afraid I'm losing him and hope you have some suggestions that will help.
patmacd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:59 AM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I think the main problem is that he's in a very small tank and he's cold. Bettas need at least 2Gs of water. The 1/2G should be cleaned 2 to 3 times a week 100% because ammonia builds up VERY quickly in small tanks. They are warm water fish so they need a temperature of at least 76-80 degrees F. Oh, and take all of the medication out. You don't want to use medication unless you absolutely have to and you know for certain what he has. Filtered water lacks key nutrients that they need, you can use tap water, but you need to buy a water condition to take care of the harmful chemicals.

Last edited by BettaxFishxCrazy; 03-05-2010 at 10:02 AM.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 04:46 PM   #3 
bloo97

Dont zip up the heat too fast. That could send them into a shock and kill it. Gradually until good.
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:18 AM   #4 
patmacd

Exclamation Lyndon is still here!

Thank you for your replies and suggestions. I bought him a 2.5 gallon tank so I can use a mini heater but haven't put him in yet. I set it up last night with his meds (Maracyn and Maracyn 2) and aquarium salt. The temp in the new tank is 76 and he's now in 73 degree water. Is it okay to put him directly in the new tank or is the temp difference too much? He's still not eating but is upright and moves occasionally. Another question...should I run the filter that came with the new tank or will that filter out his meds too soon? Also, another betta expert advised not to use the light that came with it because bettas hate those lights and like natural daylight. Any other thoughts on the subject? I'm really hoping to save the little guy.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:24 AM   #5 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Why do you have medication in there? No, don't put him directly in the tank, if you have a little cup or bowl, I'd put him in there and let it float so he get acclimated to the new temperature and doesn't go into shock. I use tank lights for all of my fish and they're fine. They do need a night/day schedule like we do. The lights should be left on for no more than 8 hours. But, if the tank is near a window and gets light on it, it's up to you if you want to use the tank light.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:54 PM   #6 
patmacd

I have medication in the tank because he has popeye in one eye, some tiny white spots in the other and his ventral and dorsal fins are closed. He hasn't eaten for four days. How long can they go without eating? I don't know if it's because he can't see the food or because he's just not interested.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:22 PM   #7 
xxabc

It's possible he can't see it.

And they can go without food for weeks, though I've seen deaths at around 2 weeks.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 03:28 PM   #8 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Like xxabc said, they can go weeks without eating (probably 2 at the most). Could you take a picture of him?
Old 03-07-2010, 08:02 PM   #9 
patmacd

I'd be happy to post a picture of him but don't know how. I have a digital camera but what do I do after I take his picture? I put him in the larger tank tonight...so far so good but will have to see what tomorrow brings. Thanks for writing.