Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-13-2013, 02:50 PM   #1 
OrangeAugust

Redoing my NPT...what about my MTS?

I'm redoing my 55 gallon NPT (I want to move it so I have to empty it anyway), and because I want to get rid of the soil and just have sand.
Anyway, I'm sure my soil is full of Malaysian Trumpet Snails. I can go through it and try to find the largest ones to keep (that's a LOT of soil, though). But I'm definitely going to miss the tiny ones. I know there are a bunch of itty babies because I see them on my glass after the tank light has been out at night. So anyway, I'm planning on just dumping the soil in my woods behind my yard, but of course there are going to be a bunch of baby MTS in there (and I'm sure a lot of adults, too)... Wouldn't that be like introducing an invasive species? I have wetlands behind my house so I'm sure they won't have trouble surviving... it gets cold in the winter, though, but if they burrow deep enough they'll probably survive, right? So what should I do with all that soil??
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:31 PM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

Drop some food in a shallow container, mine always swarms around an uneaten algae wafer :)
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:40 AM   #3 
KeshiaB

I wouldn't risk introducing an invasive species, it does more harm than good. I know it sounds cruel but could you boil the soil to kill off any babies?
KeshiaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:05 AM   #4 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Freeze it or bake it..
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #5 
OrangeAugust

yikes. That's a lot of soil to freeze or bake... if I left it outside in a sealed bucket this winter will that freeze them?

Also, if I set up a snail trap and was able to save a lot of them that way, will a local fish store buy them (or at least take them)? That's how I got them in the first place- hitchhikers.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:30 PM   #6 
OrangeAugust

Maybe I'll keep the soil... I'll just sift it this time so I don't get tons of woodchips coming up through my sand. -_- then I'll just put a thicker layer of sand than before. And take the driftwood out. The driftwood does look really cool and at first I didn't mind that it made the water look like tea, but I don't like that anymore and my fish will look more vibrant with clear water, I think.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:51 PM   #7 
peachii

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAugust View Post
Maybe I'll keep the soil... I'll just sift it this time so I don't get tons of woodchips coming up through my sand. -_- then I'll just put a thicker layer of sand than before. And take the driftwood out. The driftwood does look really cool and at first I didn't mind that it made the water look like tea, but I don't like that anymore and my fish will look more vibrant with clear water, I think.
Stone likes the look of the tannins in the water and I hate it, so all of "my" tanks have wound up with one tiny piece of driftwood that I have sawed off a larger one or either a piece of cholla wood covered in plants. If you have a particular piece of section of the driftwood, saw it off an use the much, much smaller piece just for looks. Small pieces don't tend to leach tannins as badly as the big pieces do.

I love my dirt tanks and highly recommend them. They all grow plants without Co2 so well that it's just unbelievable. Glad to see you are going to give it another shot. It's well worth it. We tore down and re-did so many tanks when we first started until we got it right and now - it was worth all the hassle, headaches and work to get it figured out.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
natural planted tank, npt, snails