Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-15-2013, 02:47 AM   #1 
geekjello

Question Is there such thing as too big?

I'm a newbie betta owner...in fact, I don't actually own one yet! I've asked my hubby for a tank kit (heater, filter, etc included) for Christmas. My plan is to get my Betta after I've set the tank up and stabilized everything.

So here's my question: Is there such thing as too big a tank for a Betta? The kits I've been eyeing start at 10 gallons and go up from there. I was thinking of getting the 20 gallon as I'd like my Betta to have plenty of room. I might get him a few compatible tank mates down the road, assuming the Betta I get has a personality that lends itself to sharing a tank. Is 20 gallons too big? What would water changes be like with a single Betta? I'd really like to create a lovely habitat for my Betta to enjoy and I think the 20 gallon would be able to house more scenic stuff.

The tank kit I was looking at were the Marineland kits, in case anyone has experience with those.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide :)
geekjello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:32 AM   #2 
sugarunicorn

Too big? Nope! The only thing to keep in mind is that it *can* be too deep -- bettas prefer a depth of 18 inches of less, and tanks longer than they are tall, since they have to get to the surface to breathe.
sugarunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:57 AM   #3 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Can't be too big however it can be too bare for a Betta. Betta's come from Rice Paddies which are fields of water and tall reedy plants along with many other types of plants. Betta's are built for swimming in and out of the plants through the still water. So the more decoration and plants you have, the more comfortable your Betta will be!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:36 AM   #4 
Hallyx
Reference Team

+1 to all above

A 20g is a great size for a Betta. They come in two configurations. 20gal High and 20gal Long.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:17 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

You can do all kinds of things with a 20 gallon. You can put in a lot of nice plants and some cool decorations and hiding places for your betta. And there is room for tankmates. Someone else can advise you about tankmates.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:35 PM   #6 
sandybottom
Reference Team

you should check out the 20 gallon curved glass tank on the truaqua site. it is 59.99 was 499.99. includes top,light, in top filtration. shipping is only a $5 handling fee.looks really nice.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:39 PM   #7 
Bombalurina

With just a single betta in a 20 gallon, densely planted...you'd have to do a partial change maybe once a month? The bioload of a single betta would be entirely swallowed up by the plants - it would be very low maintenance!

I think that would be gorgeous - what a palace! I have a 23 gallon community with bettas, and I think it's a great size.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:54 PM   #8 
alyymarie

I'm so glad you'll be giving your betta plenty of space! :)
For anything bigger than a 10, I'd recommend getting a "long" tank that way it's not too tall. But even if you do get a tall tank, you can make sure you have lots of tall plants and decorations for your betta to rest on, if he likes.

A few people have shared that their bettas weren't comfortable in bigger spaces, but I definitely think this is the minority.
My male betta has been so happy since I upgraded him to a 10 gallon, and my female is very happy in her 20 gallon "long" tank community!
alyymarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:23 PM   #9 
Crowntails

Your betta will love all the room with that big of a tank! Make it nice and densely planted. And you can also have tankmates to go along with your betta. Definitely go with the 20 gallon.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:39 AM   #10 
Soyuki

I'm throwing in my vote with others for a 20L.

Mostly because of how gorgeous they look when well planted (fake or real) and maintenance is a breeze that size. And there is room for tankmates should you decide.

Your link goes to a blog not sure if that's intended?
Soyuki is offline   Reply With Quote