Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-01-2010, 12:15 PM   #11 
neekis

Another question....

Thanks! Freddy picked out the color. Looks like you have a red one too - very beautiful!

Now to another question...Neekis has eaten 1 pellet of food a day. (betta pellets) I always scoop out what he doesn't eat. Today he had 1 pellet, then spit it out, then ate it again. After about a minute, he spit some of it out. Looks like he ate some of the pellet. Then he ate maybe 1-1/2 bloodworms. When should I feed him again? He isn't full grown yet.
neekis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:47 PM   #12 
dramaqueen
Banned

The pellets may be too biig for him. Try crushing them up.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:49 PM   #13 
neekis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
But I would keep the filter for later on.. they are great in bigger tanks (like 2.5 -3 gallon tanks) you never know you might want to upgrade him eventually.
I will definitely be upgrading at some point so I will be sure to keep it! Thanks again for all your input.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:00 PM   #14 
Mistawasis

I was going ot ask this same question about water changes. Is it acceptable, to do 50% water changes once a week? I have a 5 gallon with mini heater. I don't have something big enough to let the wtaer sit for a day when I put the chemicals in for a 5 gallon tank. I only have a couple pots I could use for the water so 50% is pretty much the only way I can do it right now. Suggestions? Comments? Is that theory okay? *I havent done it yet, I was checking to see if that would be okay for my fishes*
Mistawasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:21 PM   #15 
1fish2fish

In a 5 gallon I highly suggest getting a filter and cycling. But until you do that you need to do full water changes.. one a week I would say in a 5gal.

You don't technically need to let the water sit a day.. in fact I never do unless I just happen to have water left over. So what I would do until you cycle (if you choose to do so) I would cup the fish.. dump the water/ clean the gravel (a gravel vac would come in handy) then refill/ dechlorinate , let it heat back up and reintroduce the fish.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:37 PM   #16 
vaygirl

It's so easy to get containers for water changing. A big 5 gallon bucket that you get from any supermarket/home supply store will work. Just use it ONLY for water changes and rinse it really well when you first get it. Or get yourself a bunch of gallon spring water jugs anywhere and re-use those. If you can pick up a cheap 3 dollar gravel vacuum you can use the tubing it comes with to siphon a lot of the water out/in. It's less messy.

I have a big 5 gallon bucket for draining the water and three empty 1 gallon jugs for adding water back in. The bucket was 5 bucks or so, the spring water were 1 dollar a piece and the vacuum was a couple dollars. I keep everything in the bucket in my kitchen so it's ready to go. I only do partial changes though cause my tanks are cycled. 2-3 10-20% changes weekly on each of my three tanks.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:40 PM   #17 
neekis

Talking Neekis is soooo cool!

So Neekis appears to enjoy having his tank cleaned with him in it! I used the vacuum today and he kept coming up to it to check it out. He didn't have his fins flared or anything....just kept following me around. I did a 50% change and was amazed on all the stuff that was in the gravel! And I just got him last Saturday. I cleaned the tank on Monday and then again today. Was a little concerned with the quality of the water as I cleaned, but he really seemed to do fine. There wasn't much floating around in the water.

Also, he loves it when my 3 yr old son puts his face up next to the tank to talk to him...it's so adorable. Then he gives the whole tank a hug and it seems like Neekis never wants him to leave the area. I never thought a fish could be so intereactive! Especially with the water change...I really think it was less stressful on him than taking him out. Of course, I will take him out when I do a full cleaning.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice. I'm really getting the feeling that each fish has its own personality.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:25 PM   #18 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so glad to hear how much you and your son are enjoying Neekis. Yes, they're very entertaining and have great personalities.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:39 PM   #19 
smallvle

i put my beta in a small glass tumbler filled with tank water for his water changes. it's clear glass, but he's never seemed bothered by it, plus he's only in it for 5-10 minutes, depending on how much scrubbing i do. : ) plus i have an old plastic grate thing from a really old filter that fits perfectly over the glass and has small slots in the top so i know he has fresh air. (i always leave about half and inch of space at the top.)
smallvle is offline   Reply With Quote