Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-09-2010, 12:48 AM   #21 
xxabc

Thought I'd put this in anyway - fish are always more important. :)
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:06 AM   #22 
doubleatheman

I actually made it a point to read the entire chapter on tank cycling in our old fish book. (A great book actually)

No offense, but I find the internet frustrating source for info sometimes. Like the amount of salt to add to water, how often to change the water, ect ect. Every single website or forum wills say something different! But the book always agrees with itself!

Needless to say the info on this forum seems to agree with the book most of the time :)

Basically ammonia spikes somewhere around day7, NitrIte day 14, NitrAte day 21. No bacteria gets rid of Nitrate fast enough, so that's one of the reasons you need to make regular water changes on a cycled tank.

NitrAte is LAte! that's how I keep the two N's in order!
doubleatheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:25 AM   #23 
xxabc

Bahahaha, that's a nice idea actually :)

You'll never get one answer for things like this. There are so many things to keep into consideration. Personal experience, personal thought, neglect, necessity, factual info, etc etc - which is what changes everything. A book is definitely filled with "facts" and whatnot. I like the internet better though, more personal experience, and emotion to it :)
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:40 AM   #24 
emma2010

Question: If most of the bacteria is in the cartridge then what happens when I change the cartridge? Won't that upset the balance again or will it be ok so long as the water is cycled water and the cartridge is given time to reup with bacteria before another water change?
emma2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:04 PM   #25 
Oldfishlady

I change my filter media maybe 1-2 times a year when they are falling apart, I have planted tanks now so I don't worry with cycling issues, but when I kept regular tank I still only changed out the filter media when it was falling apart and I would take the old filter media and tear if off the frame and leave it behind the new filter media for at least 2 weeks to give the new filter media time to seed to prevent a mini cycle.
I also cut a slit in my filter media and remove all the charcoal and save it for later, most of the charcoal in the filters are of low quality/quanity and are only active for a short time, depending on type and brand they are active for a week or two at best, it won't hurt anything with using/leaving the inactive charcoal but it is not doing anything either, it does have a good surface area for the good bacteria to grow.
Companys that make these products often tell customers that you need to change these things out every month or so, this is money in their pocket and out of yours....why spend on these things when you can spend or other things like another tank...lol....more fish.....I can think of lots of things I can better spend my money on. I don't even buy the filter media anymore, I use poly fill from the craft department one bag will last me 10 or so years...maybe longer........
IMO/E the best way to care for the filter media is to give it a good swish/rinse in old/removed tank water with a water change to get the big gunk off, and only if the water flow has slowed, it will look dirty and you want it to look dirty, our little ecosystems we create need that good bacteria to be healthy....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:44 PM   #26 
doubleatheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I change my filter media maybe 1-2 times a year when they are falling apart, I have planted tanks now so I don't worry with cycling issues, but when I kept regular tank I still only changed out the filter media when it was falling apart and I would take the old filter media and tear if off the frame and leave it behind the new filter media for at least 2 weeks to give the new filter media time to seed to prevent a mini cycle.
I also cut a slit in my filter media and remove all the charcoal and save it for later, most of the charcoal in the filters are of low quality/quanity and are only active for a short time, depending on type and brand they are active for a week or two at best, it won't hurt anything with using/leaving the inactive charcoal but it is not doing anything either, it does have a good surface area for the good bacteria to grow.
Companys that make these products often tell customers that you need to change these things out every month or so, this is money in their pocket and out of yours....why spend on these things when you can spend or other things like another tank...lol....more fish.....I can think of lots of things I can better spend my money on. I don't even buy the filter media anymore, I use poly fill from the craft department one bag will last me 10 or so years...maybe longer........
IMO/E the best way to care for the filter media is to give it a good swish/rinse in old/removed tank water with a water change to get the big gunk off, and only if the water flow has slowed, it will look dirty and you want it to look dirty, our little ecosystems we create need that good bacteria to be healthy....
Yep I crack open the Penn Plax Small world Filter containers and refill them with new carbon and sponge myself! Only have purchased replacements for that filter once. (I haven't done this in the last 7 years though, but plan to do it when it becomes to replace the carbon again. I plan to replace the carbon once a month)
doubleatheman is offline   Reply With Quote