Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-10-2010, 10:36 AM   #1 
Brooke

Ph levels

I recently cycled a 10gal for my Betta, and have added three new Corys so far (figured I would let them settle in a bit first). All my levels are great except my Ph! I can't seem to get it to go down (currently at 7.8 ), and don't want to put LuBu in there while it is high like that. The Corys are doing great (so far).

Currently I am using spring water for LuBu (Betta), but I can't imagine using gallons of spring water every time I have to change out the 10gal.

FWIW, our tap water has pretty high ammonia and Ph, so along with a water conditioner, I use Ammo Lock for the ammonia. I have put some Ph down in the water three times now (although now I have read that is stupid because it causes too many fluctuations), and it has not changed it at all.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Last edited by Brooke; 03-10-2010 at 10:54 AM.
Brooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:55 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Your pH is fine, 7 is great.....without a buffer your pH will not stay stable and the sudden changes can be really hard if not deadly on fish, it is safer to let them adjust.
Have you contacted your local water company to see why you have ammonia and what level they consider safe. What is the ammonia level btw...
Not all bottled water is created equal....some are just tap water with a label and its use can be costly depending on the size tank and water changes.
And if it is pure or filtered bottled water they can be void/lack the needed vitamin and minerals that our fish need.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:55 AM   #3 
1fish2fish

Your pH is fine... don't put any chemicals in to lower it... that will cause more harm to your betta than letting him adjust to the pH. The pH of my tanks is 7.5.. perfectly fine. Instead of adding all that extra stuff I suggest you just get Prime conditioner.. it helps with traces of ammonia in tap water and conditions. That way you'd only be adding one thing to your water.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:16 AM   #4 
doubleatheman

Our ph is 8.5 - 8.7 I'm pretty much forced to bring it down. For the health of the fish that seems way too high to adjust to.

Wardley bulseye 7.0 always keeps my tank at a stable 7.6-7.7 and it won't change much inbeteen water changes.
doubleatheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:24 PM   #5 
Brooke

The tank ammonia is at 0ppm right now - I treated it when I did the last water change (prior to adding the Corys).

The tap ammonia varies between .50 and 1 ppm. The water here is very odd - changes constantly, enough that I can smell it. It amazes me we are totally surrounded by water and can't get a decent supply. I have considered calling the city though since I doubt our water filter removes ammonia, and the dogs and cat drink tap :p.

I assume Prime won't mess with the bio filter, right? I do have some of that, but was using ammo lock instead since I read that doesn't mess with it.

Anyhow, I went ahead and put him in there. He seems a bit weirded out by the Corys (they are all still young and remind me a bit of puppies). Anytime they come around him he flares a bit and and they swim off :p. I think once he gets used to it he will be much happier with all the extra room and stuff to play with.
Brooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:32 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

Prime doesn't mess with your cycle at all.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:19 PM   #7 
xxabc

I use prime, it doesn't do anything to the cycle. My number one conditioner, for sure. I'd recommend it anyday, considering its pretty darn cheap for how long it lasts
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote