Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-17-2013, 08:52 AM   #1 
Siobhan

Upgrades for the fish village

I have three bettas, two boys and a girl. Each of them had a bowl with glass "jewels" and a castle, and my eldest, Wally, had grown so alarmingly since I brought him home a year ago that I decided to get him a tank when I saw them on sale at Petsmart yesterday. But I figured the other two would grow, too, now that they're out of those ridiculous tiny cups, so I got tanks for Marty and Ellie, too. And some plastic plants. And more jewels. The woman at the register told me they'd be "scared of all that space" but that's silly and they weren't. Marty was suspicious, but that's just his personality. He's fine now. He reminds me of my parrots. If you put a new toy or, heaven forbid, a new CAGE in their lives, they think it's a monster at first. He wasn't that bad, but he did sort of sit by his familiar castle and not move for a few minutes, until curiosity drove him to swim around and explore. And he's very happy to have plants.

When they lived in bowls, I changed their water completely every three days or so. I figured with 2.5 gallon tanks, I won't need to change so often and I suppose time will tell what schedule to follow, but I'm thinking once a week might suffice, especially with Ellie, who's tiny. What do you think?

I bought Wally on a whim because I couldn't stand to see them in those tiny cups, and after having him for a year, I got Marty a couple of months ago, and then got Ellie a couple of weeks ago. I didn't really plan to have a fish village. It just happened. They all seem very pleased with their new digs, even tiny Ellie. You'd think if anybody was going to be "scared by all that space," it would be her. Nah. She's zooming around in there as if she'd just been waiting to move into it all along.
Siobhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:27 AM   #2 
Laki

Good for you for not listening to that employee! They will love their new tanks! I can't wait to see them either :)

Once a week water should be fine, I change about 50-60% of my 3 gallon once a week.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:47 PM   #3 
RussellTheShihTzu

Are the tanks filtered? Do you have live plants? Some plants help remove ammonia so you might think about adding a small jungle.

And, actually, some Bettas are uncomfortable in open spaces but they usually get used to them. My Finch is in a heavily planted 2.5 because he was terribly unhappy and inactive in open water. Spent all of his time in the floating Cabomba. Now he swims in and out of the plants which more closely mimics a Betta's natural environment. So, technically, she clerk was correct.

Last edited by RussellTheShihTzu; 11-17-2013 at 12:54 PM.
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:13 PM   #4 
Bombalurina

I think a lot of petshops convert "scared of open spaces" into "scared of large tanks", which is incorrect, though.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:37 PM   #5 
RussellTheShihTzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
I think a lot of petshops convert "scared of open spaces" into "scared of large tanks", which is incorrect, though.
That's why I said "technically." You'd think they'd be trying to sell those larger tanks so they must believe what they're saying. Go figure.
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:39 PM   #6 
Siobhan

She might have meant "scared of open space" but mine all seem quite content. Little Ellie, for whom the tank must feel HUGE, is the happiest of all. She's all over it, and when I stop by to check on her, she swims right over to be sociable. In between, she's busy admiring her stuff. She ate a hearty breakfast, too. If they're eating well and pooping normally, all is well, in most cases, whether they're fish or birds or dogs.
Siobhan is offline   Reply With Quote