Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-17-2013, 10:04 AM   #31 
Fishie The Betta

some of those rocks look so tiny. i hope my fishie wont swallow one; he has a habit of putting rocks in his mouth and moving them around.
Fishie The Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:06 AM   #32 
Fishie The Betta

i would like to get him some toys but i dont know if they make any for fishes. he has this leaf that he likes to push around with his head and he also plays with the rocks. i want something more stimulating.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:45 AM   #33 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah, Betta's won't swallow rocks or sand, that's a misconception. They will pick them up but they can't swallow them or won't and will spit them back out, even with sand which is smaller than their pellets. I have tanks with sand, some with gravel, other's with dirt and some that are bare bottom and have never had issues.

As for toy's there a bunch of things you can do. You can use ping pong balls (wash them off first) and he can play with them. You can use the floating mirrors you'd buy at a petstore but don't leave it in all the time. He can exercise for no more than 15 minutes daily with that. You can also use Craft Mesh from a craft store and make a Betta Hammock out of it. Basically take a strip and sew it into a cylinder (make sure to cut off any sharp pieces!) and he'll rest in it because it floats!

There's a bunch of fish "toy's" you can make, ask around on the forum and people will give you ideas sometimes ^_^ also look at DIY threads (Do it yourself) and those will have some great ideas as well!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:15 PM   #34 
Fishie The Betta

i was looking at decors and they are so expensive. doing my own decor/toys would be great idea! ty!
Old 11-17-2013, 06:20 PM   #35 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah, you have to keep your eye out for the deals or know someone who works at a pet shop and can help you get a discount! That's my way haha
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote