Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-15-2013, 05:00 PM   #11 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I recently planted a 1g jar NPT style. I'll get a heater in there eventually and when I do that I would be perfectly comfortable with keeping a betta in it.

Once I stock it I'll mainly base water changes on my parameters.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:24 PM   #12 
srf312

I'll probably do at least one 50% a week, and base the rest on parameters. Thanks everyone
Still not sure if I'll do betta or shrimp.. Probably shrimp unless I see an exceptionally pretty fish, or one that really needs help.
srf312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:05 PM   #13 
Elsewhere

I would suggest shrimp, mostly because I think it would look pretty cool :) I can't have shrimp thanks to the Bettas (yup, great $4 treat, guys!) and that would be a great little jar for them!
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:46 AM   #14 
Trippshep

I feel like this would be a nice home for a betta, but too small.
I suggest going to walmart. They sell glasses, found in the fake plant section, that look like this http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/i/20...ep-d6rzya0.jpg for only 5 dollars. I find it very nice and easy to clean, I have 4 of them right now. Its my go to cheap aquarium when I buy a new fish out of no where c:
Trippshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:25 AM   #15 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
I believe that the recommended with plants for a one gallon is two 50% changes per week (please correct me if I'm wrong, OFL!). :)
After conducting more experiments over the past 12 months-I have changed some of my recommendation regarding water changes.
(The sticky post written by me-IMO- some information is no longer valid or recommended by me-follow at your own risk)

These experiments are conducted with the Long fin male Betta-making the recommendation geared toward the Long fin male Betta.

In my opinion/experience the Long fin male Betta has special needs due to the long delicate fins. That said, water changes to maintain water quality should be the same for any single fish IMO-not just the LFM Betta.

In a 1gal unfiltered with active growing plants-water changes of 50% weekly should maintain water quality.

Due to the long delicate fins-some-not all male Betta can have issue with maintaining their long fins.
Remember, the Long Fin are abnormal-man-made-you will not find male Betta with Long fin in the wild-this is why some care can be different for some Long fin male Betta.

Also, I no long recommend 100% water changes-except in rare cases.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:07 AM   #16 
karenluvsbettas623

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
After conducting more experiments over the past 12 months-I have changed some of my recommendation regarding water changes.
(The sticky post written by me-IMO- some information is no longer valid or recommended by me-follow at your own risk)

These experiments are conducted with the Long fin male Betta-making the recommendation geared toward the Long fin male Betta.

In my opinion/experience the Long fin male Betta has special needs due to the long delicate fins. That said, water changes to maintain water quality should be the same for any single fish IMO-not just the LFM Betta.

In a 1gal unfiltered with active growing plants-water changes of 50% weekly should maintain water quality.

Due to the long delicate fins-some-not all male Betta can have issue with maintaining their long fins.
Remember, the Long Fin are abnormal-man-made-you will not find male Betta with Long fin in the wild-this is why some care can be different for some Long fin male Betta.

Also, I no long recommend 100% water changes-except in rare cases.

I'm interested to know what the experiments were and the results.
karenluvsbettas623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:44 PM   #17 
srf312

I have the jar set up, with an anubias plant, a crypt, and some hornwort. Cant get pics to work

Last edited by srf312; 11-18-2013 at 04:49 PM.
srf312 is offline   Reply With Quote