Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-18-2013, 04:08 PM   #21 
Ilikebutterflies

Quote:
does any one know how to convince ur strict dad to let you breed At age 12????
I think by explaining what the IBC is and asking to join is a big step towards letting him know you are serious.
Making an itemized list showing everything you need and the price is another good step. You could even go as far as finding stuff on Craigslist and printing the page.
You could adopt a baby betta to see what is involved in at least partially raising one-although the hard work is done by then.
You could look through Aquabid and find very good examples of what you hope to breed. You could print the auction page for your dad to see so you could explain the difference between pet store fish and higher quality fish.
You could offer to start doing jobs around the house or Saturday babysitting for friends/neighbors of your parents to make money for your endeavor.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:30 PM   #22 
LittleBettaFish

I think at 12, it's all about proving to your parents that you are organised, have a clear plan laid out and are going to maintain interest and not throw it all in as soon as your interest wanes.

Breeding is a lot of work. Spawning is the easy part. It's the next four or more months that follow that is the hard part.

I don't think you need $500 to breed bettas. For example, live food cultures are fairly cheap and a renewable resource. BBS eggs purchased in bulk and frozen can last a very long time, and clear plastic tubs can be used as the spawning tank and grow-outs.

We have a $2 shop near my house that sells packets of plastic containers for only a few dollars, and I actually raised a whole heap of killifish fry in them until they were big enough to go into a proper grow-out. Otherwise, you could poke holes in plastic drink bottles, insert a suction cap into the hole and stick them onto the inside of your tank/tub and use these to jar the fry into.

Probably the most expensive things are going to be heaters and an air pump. I prefer air pumps that can run multiple sponge filters or airstones, as then I can run all my tanks and my BBS hatchery off the one pump.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:07 PM   #23 
sushiisaboss75

I'm gonna start with making the money and keeping my room clean.
sushiisaboss75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:42 PM   #24 
JaniceAndFred

I eventually would want to breed bettas but first I wanna try hatching bbs. To give to my fishies. :)
JaniceAndFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:28 PM   #25 
BettaBoy51

I would jut try to be responsible and make the money last year I did car washes and raked in 70$-100$ a day so jut earn money my breeding set up cost me with 4 breeding pairs an tanks 80&-120$ so it's now that expensive and I would be happy to try to put together a cheap microworm starter culture for cheap if you wanted just let me know If you need any help
BettaBoy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:12 AM   #26 
GhostFeather

I signed your petition, good luck with it and your plans on breeding!!
Bill
GhostFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:46 AM   #27 
dramaqueen
Banned

I agree with LBF. Show your dad that you are a responsible person. Make sure you're taking care of your other responsibilities like taking care of other pets, doing homework, helping around the house, etc. Just keep in mind that breeding and raising fry is a lot of work and responsibility .If you're involved in extracurricular activities like sports, clubs, etc then you may not have time. Fry need to be fed regularly and water changes need to be done regularly too, to keep the fry healthy. I'm not trying to discourage you, I just want to make sure you've thought everything out. :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:51 PM   #28 
Aryia

I agree with hmburkle. When I started setting up my breeding equipment, I never thought that it would take that much money, but I believe I will hit $1000 sooner or later too. I think the most expensive part is planning where and how you will raise your baby Bettas. You need to plan ahead for that! Don't wait for a spawn and then realize you have nowhere to put them.

The $1000 budget is with me building my own barracks, own stands, own sump. If you are to purchase pre-build ones, it would cost a lot. Breeding Betta is very tedious since you can't house the fish together when you're not breeding them.
Aryia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:51 PM   #29 
sushiisaboss75

Also need to know how to sell. I'm not allowed to have a paypal my mom won't let me use hers and how do u even package them?
sushiisaboss75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:57 PM   #30 
BettaBoy51

if you cant have a pay pal the sell them local i sell them like a garage sale if i ever have a lot so do that thats my opinion and i dont think it will cost 1000$ im probably at 90-120 right now i have every thing and am spawning next week
BettaBoy51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breeding, questions