Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-13-2010, 05:42 PM   #1 
hitter36

A question

i have had my betta for a week now, he lives in a 1.85 L tank, and I havent seen and poop in the tank even when i cleaned it. hes been fed atleast once or twice a day, afew flakes. The last time he pooped was when he was in his bag. Should I be worried? Thanks
hitter36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:50 PM   #2 
doubleatheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitter36 View Post
i have had my betta for a week now, he lives in a 1.85 L tank, and I havent seen and poop in the tank even when i cleaned it. hes been fed atleast once or twice a day, afew flakes. The last time he pooped was when he was in his bag. Should I be worried? Thanks
I have also had my Betta for a week now, and I actually found his waste for the first time this morning. Although I think it is easy to miss in the gravel, so I'm sure he has gone more. Does your Betta seem bloated? that would be an easyier way to tell if things aren't coming out.

Considering your tank is less than a half gallon you should defiantly be changing the water more than once a week. Also since its the first week it should be more often. Also I'm assuming the tank does not have a filter? so you need to clean/change the water even more.
doubleatheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:30 PM   #3 
hitter36

His stomach isnt bloated or big, but usually i see the waste as its a different color than the gravel and then i just syphon it out with a turkey baster. Today was the first time I changed his water (saturday) so when should I change it again? Should i continue to feed him?
Old 03-13-2010, 06:35 PM   #4 
BettaxFishxCrazy

In a 1/2G tank it should be cleaned every day 100% IMO. You also can't safely heat a tank that size. Since they are warm water fish, they need to be in water that's 76-80 degrees F. Some people think that a smaller tank is easier than a bigger tank but that's just the opposite. In a big tank (5G and up) you can cycle it and you won't have to do any 100% water changes, just 25% and/or 50% every week or every other week depending on how big the tank is. What color is his poop? It's normally brown.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:37 PM   #5 
hitter36

from when i got him the first day, in his bag it looked brown. My other betta that died his was red, most likely because the food was red. (flakes)
Old 03-13-2010, 07:59 PM   #6 
doubleatheman

mine was brown this morning :) I guess all is well. lol, im talking about fish poop color on the internet... weird...

@hitter36 I hate to sound like a broken record... but you should consider a bigger tank.

And I would keep feeding him, your probably just missing it.
doubleatheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:18 PM   #7 
hitter36

ya thats what i was thinking too, I have a betta stater kit, is there any specific tank that you reccomend for a begginer owner?, nothing too big or pricey. I know the bigger the tank, the happier the fish!
Old 03-13-2010, 10:20 PM   #8 
xxabc

How's $30 for a 5 gallon and filter? You would still have to buy a heater ($12ish).

but seriously, $30 for a 5gallon and filter is an everyday steal. i think the other 5 gallons are like, a 5gallon hex is $45, the (mini?)bow for $55, maybe. idk, something like that.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:25 PM   #9 
hitter36

that is a steal! At petsmart they wanted like 30$ for a heater to fit my tank. I think Once my fish passes i will upgrade. Also, with a larger tank, how do i perform the water change when they say a 25-50% water change?
Old 03-13-2010, 10:28 PM   #10 
xxabc

What's wrong with getting it now? But yes, it's a steal. I'll never stop recommending it, hahaha~

I use a siphon. Just google it up. I'd recommend this siphon, since it doesn't involve shaking around, and it's not too big for a 5 gallon. It takes the water out a LITTLE more slowly than others, but you want that to take time getting the dirt out of the substrate.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2755281
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote