Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-15-2010, 07:57 AM   #1 
dipsydoodlenoodle

Is he suitable for a tankmate?

I’m just asking this as I wonder about it more than I’m realistically thinking about it; would my betta be suitable for having a tank mate (personality wise)? I have no experience on betta behaviour to know if he’s aggressive or passive etc.

He is in a 5 gallon tank at the minute; he doesn’t seem scared when I have my hands in the tank; he swims past his reflection most of the time; when the tank is “reflective” (i.e. when I turn the light on it turns into a mirror) he flares at the reflection but he flares and swims away and then flares and swims away and flares and swims away; when I first got him he tried to attack the reflection once but he’s not done it since; he just shows the reflection who is better looking and then he swims off (and repeats).
dipsydoodlenoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:37 AM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

What you're saying is normal behavior. That's why they're called fighting fish, they will go after their reflection or other fish. Some would argue to just leave the fish by themselves; that they're happier that way. In a 5G you could try a couple snails or 2 frogs (I think people use ADF's). The thing with snails is that if you get a male and female, they will breed like crazy and you'll end up with lots of baby snails.

If your betta is very aggressive and starts attacking them, than you'd have to bring them back. I don't have any tank mates for any of my fish, they love being by themselves, but it's up to you. Some like the company and some would rather be by themselves.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:13 PM   #3 
xxabc

IMO you will never actually know unless you actually put in tankmates with him. In terms of tankmates, just knowing your bettas personality like that won't help. I "thought" I knew my bettas, which I did, but not in terms of how they are with others. You'll have to gamble a little bit if you do want a tankmate :)

I believe nerite snails don't breed in freshwater. If you do ending getting a male and female, the worst you get are these eggs on the tank glass. They won't hatch, but they're not so pretty either.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:07 AM   #4 
dipsydoodlenoodle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaxFishxCrazy View Post
What you're saying is normal behavior. That's why they're called fighting fish, they will go after their reflection or other fish. Some would argue to just leave the fish by themselves; that they're happier that way. In a 5G you could try a couple snails or 2 frogs (I think people use ADF's). The thing with snails is that if you get a male and female, they will breed like crazy and you'll end up with lots of baby snails.

If your betta is very aggressive and starts attacking them, than you'd have to bring them back. I don't have any tank mates for any of my fish, they love being by themselves, but it's up to you. Some like the company and some would rather be by themselves.
I know it's normal I was just wondering was he showing signs of being aggressive or just 'normal'.

I dont think I will put anything in with him, I have been considering getting a nerite snail to go in though :).
dipsydoodlenoodle is offline   Reply With Quote