Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Memorials
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-18-2013, 06:40 AM   #1 
MsAqua

Ezio, Another Life Taken Too Soon

Another betta taken from me in less than a few days after buying him. I declare this the end of me buying/rescuing any fish from Walmart.
First, they can't change water properly. And now that they, sort of are, they are spreading sickness.
Ezio didn't even seem sick. The only odd thing he did was wedge himself under the plants and stay there for long amounts of time.
Found the poor fellow dead at the bottom of the tank when I came home this morning. He had been gone for a long time. So he passed away sometime after 10:30 last night when I left for work.
I'm not sure what he had. He very well might have gotten Columnaris like my other two boys that died from Walmart. But I did not see any signs of it on him. So I don't know. SIP.
Attached Images

MsAqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:28 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I'm sorry for your loss MsAqua, were they all housed in the same tank? Was the tank cleaned after each of their deaths or did you just stick another in? That might be why, if you are indeed doing that but it's okay. I suggest getting some Rubbing Alcohol from Wal-Mart to use to disinfect your tanks before using them as QT and disinfect them after the fish has left to a new tank or whatever. This will keep lingering diseases out so you could possibly have more if you wanted.

Just a thought though, but again, I'm sorry about poor Ezio!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:00 PM   #3 
DerangedUnicorn

Aww, darn. I loved his name! Poor thing. At least he had someone to love him & a place to call home before he died. :(
DerangedUnicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:46 PM   #4 
MsAqua

No. The fish were all in brand new tanks with brand new gravel and silk plants. Everything they had, had not been touched by another fish before I used it. Hence why I blame Walmart and how they're probably doing water changes after all my complaints.
And no. Every fish aside, from my Sorority, has their own tank to themselves. I don't want to risk sharing water and spreading disease. And even so they would all be quarantined for a long while before I'd ever consider putting them together in a divided tank.
I've used bleach on all the tanks that housed the fish, which I read helps eliminate any disease. Triton seems to be living pretty well in the tank Tyreal was in so I'm going to say that it worked or at least helped. Then I threw out any gravel and put silk plants in a salt bath. I have not had anyone else contract Columnaris. It has only been bettas that I have bought from Walmart and have spent only a couple days with me. They either had it when I brought them home or perhaps the stress of a new place helped the disease along.

Thanks.
That's true. He had a home away from those little cups of Walmart. :)

Last edited by MsAqua; 11-18-2013 at 04:48 PM.
MsAqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:20 PM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Just wanted to be sure I almost half hoped it was just something simple like not cleaning the tanks, and it's not just all the fish at Wal-mart is all. But that stinks still, I'm glad you were able to give him so much attention before his time though, I'm sure he greatly appreciated that!!

As far as Bleach, it actually doesn't kill all the bacteria like Rubbing Alcohol does. Alcohol is completely sterilizing and will kill more. You can use both in conjunction and get a much better clean and it would be much more sterile than if you used just Bleach. There was research done (I don't remember where I read it actually) but a woman tested just how much bleach killed and there was surprising amount of bacteria and other things that survived through a 24 hour soak! So I use both for good measure anyway but alcohol is my go to sterilizer since I can just put it in a spray bottle, spray it over the sink, rinse and let dry and done
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:18 PM   #6 
DatBetta

Awe I'm so sorry my little "fat" friend is gone :(.
DatBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:59 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry for your loss.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote