Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-17-2010, 06:20 PM   #1 
punkchica321

Getting a Betta soon, got some questions.

Hey all! So I've owned a few bettas before, all but one, and who happened to be my first betta, lived for about two weeks. The one that lived the longest was jaws, my first betta and he lived for four years. I'll be honest, I didn't know they needed a heater and everything basically listed here. I switched his water about every week or so but never gave him a filter. So, I figured I'd ask some questions.

What should I look for when choosing out a betta? Obviously a clean tank/cup, but what else?

Should I use tap or spring water? I used spring water for my last betta.

What food would you recommend, I used to give those tiny ball type of fish food meant for bettas to jaws.

If there's anything else you want to suggest, go for it! Also, how do I properly put the fish in a new tank? I get so confused with this. Do I put the water in blah blah and then put the fish in the bag into the tank for 15 minutes?

Thanks in advance!

-Andrea
punkchica321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:44 PM   #2 
bloo97

Quote:

What food would you recommend, I used to give those tiny ball type of fish food meant for bettas to jaws.
Hi and welcome to the Forum!
I recomend tap water but if you do use tap, leave it running for atleast a minute or the water in the pipes will kill it.
I use wardlys betta pellets for Lucky.
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:55 PM   #3 
punkchica321

What do you mean leave it running for at least a minute or it will kill it? Also what should I treat it with?
Old 03-17-2010, 07:15 PM   #4 
xxabc

What should I look for when choosing out a betta? Obviously a clean tank/cup, but what else?

I always have trouble with this, lol. I preferably go for my favorite color and tail, and see which one stands out to me. And then I treat it as best I can so it doesn't pass. However, health wise, get one not too skinny. Colors should be brighter. New ones usually move around. One that is flaring is REALLY(ish) new, so go for ones that flare too. The tail shouldn't be clamped, they should be free. (But they're all clamped anyways, poor things).

In most cases, spring lacks the vitamins and minerals for a betta. Tap is usually much, much better. But you need to get a dechlorinator. I recommend "Seachem Prime". However, leaving the tap out for 24hours removes the chlorine. But only the chlorine. If you don't have too much water, like just a 10 gallon, Prime will last for a looooong time, IMO. However if there's ammonia in your tap water (there have been cases), you might want to get another source. Not sure if half/half will work in this case. I have no exp. in ammonia in tap water, though.

Always try to get variety! Their staple should be pellets ("tiny balls", as you say hehe). I use HIkari bio gold. And then for treats, go for bloodworms, brine shrimp, or the like. It's your choice if you do frozen, live, or freeze dried. Also, try to soak all of them for about a minute to prevent constipation!

If there's anything else you want to suggest, go for it! Also, how do I properly put the fish in a new tank? I get so confused with this. Do I put the water in blah blah and then put the fish in the bag into the tank for 15 minutes?

Get the biggest, biggest tank you can afford, haha. I always recommend 5 gallons with filter and heater. However smaller tanks will work. The smaller, the more maintenance, though. 1 gallon should be absolute minimum.

Bettas aren't fond of too much open space, so it's nice to crowd with plenty of plants. More security, and more of a "territorial" feel (they're territorial fish, which is why you can't put them together).

And I think you're talkin' about acclimation. If you float the bag / cup, that gets the temperature the same. You should put SOME water in the cup. Keep putting in water every 10 minutes, little by little (and little is your definition). When it gets really full, poor a little out, but NOT into the tank. Then keeping putting in your water into the cup, every 10 minutes, until you think 90% of the water is yours.

Thanks in advance!

-Andrea

--I may have missed some stuff, or may not be clear. Just ask if I don't make sense!! And I love pictures, so once you get the new betta, I'd love pics : )

Last edited by xxabc; 03-17-2010 at 07:17 PM.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:36 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. Tap water is perfectly fine as long as it's treated with water conditioner. I also recommend Prime. Also, the smaller the tank, the more often the water needs to be changed.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:06 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

Use tap water.. spring water doesn't have the right minerals that fish need. You can age your tap but I don't.. just put it in and dechlorinate it IMO.

Pellet food is good as a base but you should also have a few other foods to feed to give your fish a variety. Frozen blood worms, beef heart, brine shrimp and others work well, as do freeze dried as long as you feed very sparingly.

To acclimate a new fish float it in the tank and slowly let the new water mix with the old over 15-30 minutes and then let the fish out into the tank.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:23 AM   #7 
punkchica321

I always have trouble with this, lol. I preferably go for my favorite color and tail, and see which one stands out to me. And then I treat it as best I can so it doesn't pass. However, health wise, get one not too skinny. Colors should be brighter. New ones usually move around. One that is flaring is REALLY(ish) new, so go for ones that flare too. The tail shouldn't be clamped, they should be free. (But they're all clamped anyways, poor things).

Hm alright I'll keep that in mind when I'm looking, what do you mean by clamped tails? :-s

In most cases, spring lacks the vitamins and minerals for a betta. Tap is usually much, much better. But you need to get a dechlorinator. I recommend "Seachem Prime". However, leaving the tap out for 24hours removes the chlorine. But only the chlorine. If you don't have too much water, like just a 10 gallon, Prime will last for a looooong time, IMO. However if there's ammonia in your tap water (there have been cases), you might want to get another source. Not sure if half/half will work in this case. I have no exp. in ammonia in tap water, though.
How do I check if there's ammonia in my tap water? What sort of ph test strips should I get?

Always try to get variety! Their staple should be pellets ("tiny balls", as you say hehe). I use HIkari bio gold. And then for treats, go for bloodworms, brine shrimp, or the like. It's your choice if you do frozen, live, or freeze dried. Also, try to soak all of them for about a minute to prevent constipation!

Okay! I'll get those and it's funny, Jaws didn't like the brine shrimp I tried to give him. He always spit them out. :P Not that I minded, they freaked me out. But if this betta likes them I'll just deal with the gross brine shrimp.

Get the biggest, biggest tank you can afford, haha. I always recommend 5 gallons with filter and heater. However smaller tanks will work. The smaller, the more maintenance, though. 1 gallon should be absolute minimum.

I want to go for a five gallon tank, I just want to find one for a good price.

Bettas aren't fond of too much open space, so it's nice to crowd with plenty of plants. More security, and more of a "territorial" feel (they're territorial fish, which is why you can't put them together).

I'll make sure to get a lot of plants then! Jaws didn't have many in his tank, I sort of feel bad now. :-/

And I think you're talkin' about acclimation. If you float the bag / cup, that gets the temperature the same. You should put SOME water in the cup. Keep putting in water every 10 minutes, little by little (and little is your definition). When it gets really full, poor a little out, but NOT into the tank. Then keeping putting in your water into the cup, every 10 minutes, until you think 90% of the water is yours.

I'll be honest, this bit confuses me. Am I putting some of the water from the tank I've set up into the bag or cup(I forget what I've taken them home in)?

Thanks in advance!

-Andrea

--I may have missed some stuff, or may not be clear. Just ask if I don't make sense!! And I love pictures, so once you get the new betta, I'd love pics : )

Oh I will! Though I'm sure my dog will be in most of them, he seems so fascinated by fish when I take him to petco with me haha!
Old 03-18-2010, 06:19 AM   #8 
bloo97

Quote:
What do you mean leave it running for at least a minute or it will kill it?
Well, the copper(and other minirals) in the pipes are bad in the water and will kill it. So if you "wash it down" the abd minerals will go away. ( ;
( I Read That In A Book By Seimor Simon) Sorry for bad spelling...

Last edited by bloo97; 03-18-2010 at 06:21 AM.
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:35 AM   #9 
punkchica321

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloo97 View Post
Well, the copper(and other minirals) in the pipes are bad in the water and will kill it. So if you "wash it down" the abd minerals will go away. ( ;
( I Read That In A Book By Seimor Simon) Sorry for bad spelling...
Hm interesting, I didn't know that.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:42 AM   #10 
xxabc

Hm alright I'll keep that in mind when I'm looking, what do you mean by clamped tails? :-s
Well here are some links, but basically the fins are stuck together (clamped together). It's never a good sign, but it's very helpful in case stuff happens!
http://www.babyofmine.co.uk/MemberSi...lampedfins.jpg
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1057/...167252.jpg?v=0
http://media.photobucket.com/image/b...5/DSCF1268.jpg
Some of these are female bettas, but the point is there anyways.

How do I check if there's ammonia in my tap water? What sort of ph test strips should I get?
Test strips are REALLY misleading. Don't bother with them - get the liquid ones! API Master Kit is usually recommended by everyone. It has pH, ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite tests. You may not like the price though, 'cause I definitely didn't. If you REALLY are tight on budget, you may have to buy select ones, which go for close to $10 each. Once you get a test kit, or if (I'm running blind without a kit, because I lost mine), just get your tap water and test it.

Not sure if I mentioned this, but Learn the Nitrogen Cycle as well. Google it up everywhere in your spare time, or make some time~

Okay! I'll get those and it's funny, Jaws didn't like the brine shrimp I tried to give him. He always spit them out. :P Not that I minded, they freaked me out. But if this betta likes them I'll just deal with the gross brine shrimp.
Lol, I do bloodworms. I don't even know what those look like, haha. But variety = good.

I want to go for a five gallon tank, I just want to find one for a good price.

Walmart! Comes with a filter, but you need to buy a heater. And BUY. A HEATER! Very necessary with tropical fish. Walmart sells some cheap preset ones for $12ish. It's not the best heater, but still some-what does the job. Keeps my heat at around 76-77. I prefer at least 78, but I'm budget-tight.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Aqua...-Pets/12177653

I'll make sure to get a lot of plants then! Jaws didn't have many in his tank, I sort of feel bad now. :-/

Lol, don't worry, it's just a suggestion. When I added like, 5 plants to my tank, my two bettas (my tank is divded) started swimming around more, in and out of the plants. Reaaaally cute~ but DO get some plants for them to hide in, and such!

I'll be honest, this bit confuses me. Am I putting some of the water from the tank I've set up into the bag or cup(I forget what I've taken them home in)?

Haha, sorry. Try googling up "How to acclimate fish" or "How to acclimate betta fish", etc. You put some of *your* tank water into *his* cup. There are different methods, and I'm bad at explaining, haha...

Hopefully this helped :D
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote