Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-19-2010, 01:48 PM   #1 
punkchica321

What else do I need?

Hey guys! So I went to walmart today and got that 5 gallon starter kit that some of you suggested. I saw a 10 gallon one but didn't have enough money with me. :-/

Anyway I'm trying to think of what else I need, this is my list please tell me if I should add anything else and know of any places to get such suggested item at a decent price.

-Heater(it's on its way here right now)
-Gravel
-Silk Plants
-Decorations
-BETTA!
punkchica321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 01:56 PM   #2 
Min

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkchica321 View Post
Hey guys! So I went to walmart today and got that 5 gallon starter kit that some of you suggested. I saw a 10 gallon one but didn't have enough money with me. :-/

Anyway I'm trying to think of what else I need, this is my list please tell me if I should add anything else and know of any places to get such suggested item at a decent price.

-Heater(it's on its way here right now)
-Gravel
-Silk Plants
-Decorations
-BETTA!

Water Conditioner & food but im sure you would have got the
Min is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:00 PM   #3 
kelly528

Not sure if you are doing this but personally I would do a fishless cycle, so...

-Pure ammonia
-Test Kit

To me at least having a 5g tank but having to do 100% water changes each week cause its uncycled is a massive waste, espescially since 5g tanks are HEAVY! I can't life mine, thats for sure!
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:03 PM   #4 
punkchica321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min View Post
Water Conditioner & food but im sure you would have got the
...Is it sad that I forgot about food? Man my mind is somewhere else today. Thanks for reminding me!

The starter kit came with a small bottle of TetraAqua AquaSafe Water Conditioner, so I'm good on that for now. As long as that's a good water conditioner?
Old 03-19-2010, 02:04 PM   #5 
punkchica321

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly528 View Post
Not sure if you are doing this but personally I would do a fishless cycle, so...

-Pure ammonia
-Test Kit

To me at least having a 5g tank but having to do 100% water changes each week cause its uncycled is a massive waste, espescially since 5g tanks are HEAVY! I can't life mine, thats for sure!
Oh that's a good idea, how do I do a cycle though exactly? Is there a link on this? :-s Also what test kit should I get and do I get the pure ammonia at the fish store? God I'm such a n00b.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:13 PM   #6 
Min

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkchica321 View Post
Oh that's a good idea, how do I do a cycle though exactly? Is there a link on this? :-s Also what test kit should I get and do I get the pure ammonia at the fish store? God I'm such a n00b.
I found this link in another post on here

http://www.tropicalfish.site5.com/tf...ad.php?t=60022

I think a lot of people on here use the master kit for fresh water.
Min is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:29 PM   #7 
kuklachica

I highly recommend the API test kit. I ordered mine off of Walmart.com and it's a heck of a lot cheaper than a pet store.

I wouldn't use that water conditioner. There is nothing wrong with it per se, but when I used it I had serious clouding issues. Had to change the water 100% every other day because it got cloudy (in a 6.6 gal and 2.5).

I recommend the Ace brand ammonia. That is what I am using and it is going well.

Good luck! You are doing a great job getting everything together and correct before you get the betta!
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:30 PM   #8 
punkchica321

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuklachica View Post
I highly recommend the API test kit. I ordered mine off of Walmart.com and it's a heck of a lot cheaper than a pet store.

I wouldn't use that water conditioner. There is nothing wrong with it per se, but when I used it I had serious clouding issues. Had to change the water 100% every other day because it got cloudy (in a 6.6 gal and 2.5).

I recommend the Ace brand ammonia. That is what I am using and it is going well.

Good luck! You are doing a great job getting everything together and correct before you get the betta!
I'll check those things out and thanks! :) What water conditioner would you recommend?
Old 03-19-2010, 03:13 PM   #9 
kuklachica

oops! Sorry I forgot to mention that... Prime is very good and Amquel from what I understand is good as well.
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:20 PM   #10 
kelly528

You can get pure ammonia at a walmart or hardware store. It is sold as a cleaning agent (yupp-- do NOT want fish swimming in that!)

Look for a bottle that has ammonia as the ONLY ingredient... some come with addes surfactants to make them bubble or scents... these are no good. Usually the cheapest brand of ammonia is the purest.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote