Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-19-2010, 04:32 PM   #1 
rayne8042

Exclamation omg...i think i did something wrong!!

ok, so my stepsister gave me her old tank and rocks and plastic plant. its only a small tank that you get from the petstore. i never had a betta before and with my current job, i spend anywhere from 3-6 days at home, bored out of my mind. I decided to get a fish and bettas, to me, are absolutely gorgeous. my stepsister gave me betta flakes and water conditioner as well. her betta died after her apartment building was fumigated for bed bugs...fun fun lol . she now has a large tank with 10 goldfish. So in order to make sure everything was clean for my new betta, which i am buying next week, i washed the rocks, plant and tank out. no one told me not to use soap so i did. what can i do to make sure my fish doesn't die?? if i rinse everything thoroughly and a lot will it be ok?? i dont have much money right now so buying new everything is out of the question. im currently on vacation for another week and wont get another paycheck for 3 weeks. can anyone help me out??
rayne8042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:36 PM   #2 
xxabc

(Edited, sorry, I thought you already bought the betta, hahaha...)

As for getting rid of the soap, I'm not 100% sure how to clean it out. I would try cleaning it with regular, hot tap water over and over and over. Let it dry, and clean it again. But that's only me. Hopefully someone else will help you with the soap.

What size tank is it? I personally don't like small tanks, at all. (The following is only suggestions, I know you're on budget) I don't go under 5 gallons, however the true minimum for bettas SHOULD be 2.5 gallons. 1 gallon can work, but the maintenance is crazy. Smaller tank =/= less maintenance. Also, buy a heater! Walmart has some pretty cheap ones for $12. They're not the best though, so if you can do better, definitely go for it. Bettas are tropical and need warm water. And get as many silk plants as possible, as well! Plastic will rip their fins eventually.

Last edited by xxabc; 03-19-2010 at 04:39 PM.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:38 PM   #3 
rayne8042

i'll try the hot water. yes i have a thermometer, im going to get a new one though since it is peeling. the tank is smaller that 2.5 gallons i believe. it doesnt say, but i googled the 2.5 and its smaller than that. i think it is a 1 gallon. im planning on buying a heater, my apartment is in the basement of a house and there is central air. the living room where he will be gets fairly cold in the night. i will get silk plants, i dont want my fish to lose his fins if i can help it.

i'll check the store and wal-mart for bigger tanks and if i can afford it this time i'll get it, if not i'll buy it when i can. He'll be fine in a small tank with no where to hide for a couple of weeks right?

Last edited by rayne8042; 03-19-2010 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:40 PM   #4 
xxabc

Yeah, sorry, I read your post wrong so I completely edited my post. Walmart thermometers - the one you actually put INSIDE the tank are much more acccurate - are about a couple bucks? Super cheap.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:43 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Use some vinegar, this should cut through the soap and rinse, rinse, rinse...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:43 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would also recommend vinegar.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:02 PM   #7 
doubleatheman

Wash it like 5 times, letting it dry each time. (after the vinegar the first time)
doubleatheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 12:38 AM   #8 
Maryrox247

As for the 1 gallon situation dont worry about it!! My romeo is in a 1 gallon and is happy and healthy! Proof: he is energetic and builds bubblnests like crazy! :) (of course i would get him a bigger tank if i could but my new tank is for a sorority) What i would do to get rid of the soap is rinse EVERYTHING THOUROGHLY with HOT i mean hot, tap water and let it dry rinse it once more and then put it in your tank. I have never tried vinegar before but ive never needed to but you can do whatever works for you! Bettas rule!!!!!
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 12:01 PM   #9 
rayne8042

thank you guys sooo much...im going to try the vinegar thing this afternoon..i've already rinsed everything about 5 times so hopefully this will make sure nothing stays. im also going to buy more rocks.. it doesnt seem like there is much at all. so glad the 1 gallon tank will be fine. i think i might be getting my step sister's 5 gallon tank when she takes my mother's 25 gallon in a month or so. my mother is moving and there is no place for a 25 gallon tank in my apartment lol.