I have some more questions! I probably won't start the cycling process for about another month since I will be going away for a weekend soon and I don't want to miss any days of testing/adding ammonia so I'm preparing now, then waiting.
I am following this
guide for fishless cycling and I'm basically creating my own step by step instructions so I will know exactly what I'm doing. I've read through these directions I don't know how many times now but I'm still uncertain of a few things.
1. Am I adding the same amount of ammonia daily or am I checking the ammonia level each day and adding as much as needed to keep the amount at ~5ppm?
2. If I keep adding the same amount of ammonia each day, won't the levels be like 15 or 20ppm?
3. If I am checking the ammonia levels daily and adding only as much as needed to keep the level at ~5ppm, what if one day I check the level and it is still at ~5ppm. Do I just not add anymore that day or will I always have less ammonia each day (before nitrites show)?
4. I don't think this question was answered earlier. How long after I add the ammonia is it good to test for an accurate reading? Right away? Half an hour? An hour?
5. After I have cycled and when I am ready to add the fish, do I still go through the process of acclimating the Betta? I've read that I should sit the container in the water for awhile then slowly add tank water to the container. Does this mean the water in the container will be mixed with my tank water? I don't want the pet store water mixed with mine...
Thanks everyone for all your advice and recommendations. I feel very confident going into all of this!