Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-21-2010, 06:42 AM   #1 
louu

Thumbs down Cycle isnt cycling

sorry if this isthe wrong spot cant seem to remember where this should go :S

about a month or two ago I put a lid of ammonia into my acrylic 21 litre (thats ROUGHLY 5 gallons) that was wayyy too much so I did about two or three 50% w/c's and brought it down to around 5 left it for a month did more water changes brought it done to about 4 waited a week or two then another wc down to around 3 (I have a hard time using the indicator accurately) its been a good week and no change

My nitrite tests MAY be picking up the most minimal amount of nitrites but I could be imagining it and I think my Nitrates kit was labelled wrong as it says to use the coloured liquid before the clear?

I have some stocking over the filter intake and a rubberband to keep it in place (rubberband ok?) the only other thing I can think of is maybe the dye from the stocking is leeching? but i dont see how that would effect the cycling

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR READING THIS FAR!!!

any and all help appreciated!
louu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 03:55 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I am assuming this is a fishless cycle...right...
What kind of ammonia are you using
What kind of test kit are you using
How much ammonia are you putting in each day
On a fishless cycle you don't need to do any water changes until the cycle is completed and this can take anywhere from 4-8 weeks
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 04:07 PM   #3 
louu

yes it is fishless cycling

the reason I did water changes was becuase a note in the guide I read for cycling said that too high ammonia levels can inhibit the conversion to nitrites.

maybe its the ammonia I forgot to add that it is Homebrand 'cloudy ammonia' it has 20g/L and doesnt list any additives so I assume its 20g of ammonia to a litre of water. My dad who is a chemistry nut thinks that what makes it cloudy is that they changed the ph of it but that could easily be wrong I'm guessing its a lower grade of ammonia but that shouldnt be too much of a problem right?

my test kits are:

Ammonia-API
Nitrite-Tetra
Nitrate-API they are all liquid tests

thanks for all your help already hope this extra information can help!
Old 03-21-2010, 04:22 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

As long as it is pure ammonia it should be fine, the surfactant and perfumes are what you want to avoid in the ammonia.
What about pH? and water temp..both of these factor in with cycling speed to a degree

What are your end plan for your 5g tank?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:36 PM   #5 
cloudgodd

My guide

Louu:

Here is my guide that I wrote, and it has worked for me on now 6 tanks...never fails: http://cloudgodd.00bp.com/tank.html

the one thing I did not see you post is..

what is your source of Bacteria?

if you just using the air than it could take a while...

also you should be checking the ammonia, nitrite levels everyday you should maintain an ammonia lvl of 4 to 6 ppm (parts per million) if no nitrites are showing and 2 to 4 ppm of ammonia if nitrites are showing.

as soon as the nitrites and ammonia read 0 ppm in a 12 to 18 hour time span your cycle is done check the nitrate they should be HIGH around 60 to 180 ppm do a 90% water change, check the nitrates again if they are under 20 ppm let the tank relax for about 20 min and start adding fish.

make sure you are treating any water added to the tank before you add it.
cloudgodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:19 AM   #6 
louu

OK just went through and read that great link thanks cloudgodd!

as for your questions:

ph is so high its off the chart

I guess I could get another heater its a bit confusing but I was planning on another fishy so I bought another 9g tank so it wouldnt hurt to have a second small heater hanging around and I think I will restart in the bigger one

I didnt even think of a bacteria source! that makes so much sense! But my friend has a gold fish tank its been established for years so maybe I could nick a bit of gravel from them (keeping it in tank water) that would be suitable right?

my problem is that the ammonia levels wont budge! but maybe if I get a bacteria source *scratches chin* thanks
Old 03-22-2010, 11:44 AM   #7 
cloudgodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by louu View Post
OK just went through and read that great link thanks cloudgodd!

as for your questions:

ph is so high its off the chart

I guess I could get another heater its a bit confusing but I was planning on another fishy so I bought another 9g tank so it wouldnt hurt to have a second small heater hanging around and I think I will restart in the bigger one

I didnt even think of a bacteria source! that makes so much sense! But my friend has a gold fish tank its been established for years so maybe I could nick a bit of gravel from them (keeping it in tank water) that would be suitable right?

my problem is that the ammonia levels wont budge! but maybe if I get a bacteria source *scratches chin* thanks

First your welcome!

Next see if he would be will to or is going to change his filter media anytime soon, and see if you can grab that, but yes gravel would be suitable if not. and oxygen and water temp helps speed along the cycle so remember to keep the water level down so that your filter has a waterfall effect the splash will provide more oxygen for the bacteria, and keep the heat @ 82°to 86° F (27.7° to 30° C) no more than 86° F/30° C.
cloudgodd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ammonia, cycling