Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-19-2010, 07:57 PM   #11 
dramaqueen
Banned

Thank you for answering my question, Chicklet. :) I don't think doing it that way would be for everyone because not everyone has the time to dedicate to their fish.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:07 PM   #12 
Noko

I don't have nearly enough time to have that many girls in a tank together. My dad has to feed all of them when I am not home, which is a lot of the time. He tries to feed them the correct amount, but it's hard even for me. By the way, how do you even feed all 18 girls Chicklet? I have issues remembering who got a pellet or two and I only have 4 girls.
Noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:26 PM   #13 
Chicklet

Well I wasn't recommending that people add that amount of betta's,
My point was more so that if you were to add more females, adding the exact same amount as already there seems to work better, Of course the age of the betta also comes into play as well.

Quote:
By the way, how do you even feed all 18 girls Chicklet? I have issues remembering who got a pellet or two and I only have 4 girls.
Well first off I don't feed pellets, Different reasons, One reason being Pellets from my experience have actually caused me bloat issues.
In which my own blend of flaked and freeze dried mixture has never given me an issue, I just drop food in all over the top several times aday,
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:50 PM   #14 
dramaqueen
Banned

I knew that you weren't recommending that everyone do it that way. :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 03:40 PM   #15 
Noko

I might take them all out, add tons of plants to the tank, and get a few more girls and just do more partial water changes. I might take the most aggressive girl out and put her in her own tank so she won't cause any more problems. I found some really cute girls at Petco, and my local Petsmart always has a few cute girls.

Chicklet, do all of your girls get a good amount of food? I might have to make my own food if it will cause them less bloating because they always seem to have a little bloating. My dad would appreciate not having to count out the pellets he gives to them. He has carpenters fingers (rough and dry) so it's hard for him to get the right amount to all the girls. His fingers are very useful for feeding my platy fry though, the food doesn't stick to him like it does to me.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:45 PM   #16 
Maryrox247

Instead of buying a tank for the platy to give birth in how about buying a breeders net ( i have bred guppies for baout 2 1/2 years) they are much cheaper than buying a whole new tank. And i would suggest buying some more girls ( 2 more) and MORE hiding spots.Tell me how it goes!
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:41 PM   #17 
Noko

I have more platies and neon tetras in the tank, and I really don't want to put a pregnant platy in a small box with tons of fry. I was thinking about making one, but it would be too much work and would cost more that me just buying a storage box. The breeder boxes at my LPS and LFS were the really small ones the platy gives birth in and the fry drop to a lower compartment.

Next time I am at the petstore, I will look at their selection of girls. My dad really wants to convert all the tanks to live plants, so I was thinking about getting really sturdy plants that would be able to grow fast and could be broken up (I have no clue what I am talking about XD) so I could end up putting some in his tank and some in my other tank. Any suggestions on nice and sturdy plants. I really could care less how tall they will end up because I can always put them in my dads 55 gallon tank.