Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-22-2010, 08:43 PM   #1 
WuGolfer07
Banned

Unhappy Someone please help me :( :( :(

Today i traveled to another city to a mom and pop pet store that i was "told" was a great place for fish supplies/betta fish and the people their where very "knowledgeable"..I purchased 2 beautiful dark blue male crown tails. Each got its own 1gal habit with water that had been sitting and already had the proper conditioners to make it safe for em. I am not new to this, keep that in mind haha. Each habit has a couple baby apple snails ( again i have done this before). I let the bags float in the water to adjust to the temp for a bit and then i let them free! They where happy and swimming about! I tried to feed em, but they did not eat. So i thought nothing of it. I noticed one of em had grayish looking eyes, but again did not really think twice about it since he was so active and healthy "looking". I go out for a couple hours and come back only to come home to a dead betta!! :( :( :( i was like are you flippin serious?? The one that had the grayish eyes was stiff as a board at the bottom :( I tested the water levels and everything was perfect! I do not know what went wrong. I inspected his body and went done the check list of things to look for. EVERYTHING checked out except for those gray eyes The other fish is still alive, but has yet to eat and his water levels are also fine and he "looks" fine and healthy, but i feel he could also be a goner, i just have had that luck with bettas... Anyone have any idea why that other beautiful betta died in such a short time frame? i have never had one die on me like that other than a couple from old age :( i am pretty bummed and have about had it with pet stores and betta fish for that matter
WuGolfer07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:51 PM   #2 
nochoramet

I don't really know what to tell you...I mean, you said that you tested the water and everything was fine. It might have been something wrong with the fish to begin with... Did you make sure there was no chlorine?
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:56 PM   #3 
WuGolfer07
Banned

Unhappy

well since using distilled and bottled water is taboo, i used tap water which has chorline in it already, but all the levels tested out just fine. I think the fish was already sick when i got it. But something i just do not get, is that a betta can be sick and still "look" perfectly fine and than BANG...dead :( I asked the lady how old they where only b/c they were the biggest bettas i had ever seen and she said, "oh i dunno, i think a yr, we get em pretty young, so maybe like 6 months, but they should live 2-3 yrs if you take care of em properly" i think i was hoodwinked when i was told this lady knew a lot.. Both habitats have filters, but they are bubble ones and not very powerful at all or have strong currents and i was told they were fine for bettas. But you could be right, the fish could have already been sick. Is gray eyes a sign of something?
Old 03-22-2010, 09:03 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Did you use a dechlorinator in your water before adding the fish?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:05 PM   #5 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Did it look cloudy looking like this: http://www.twoofakind.info/images/fi...h/AG_08607.jpg
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:06 PM   #6 
WuGolfer07
Banned

Unhappy

yes i did :( i used EVERYTHING that every forum, website, book, and checklist says to use that i have read. Like i said, i am not new to betta fish, just this forum and def not new to fish :(... I just do not get it.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:07 PM   #7 
WuGolfer07
Banned

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaxFishxCrazy View Post
Did it look cloudy looking like this: http://www.twoofakind.info/images/fi...h/AG_08607.jpg

ya, it looked like that. Not as bad ( well when he was dead, that bad ) but as for the rest of him, he was healthy and vibrant looking :(
Old 03-22-2010, 09:11 PM   #8 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Ok it's called cloudy eye. Here's a video that I have given a couple people that have dealt with cloudy eye. This guy explains it very good. http://www.videojug.com/expertanswer...-do-i-treat-it
Old 03-22-2010, 09:16 PM   #9 
WuGolfer07
Banned

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaxFishxCrazy View Post
Ok it's called cloudy eye. Here's a video that I have given a couple people that have dealt with cloudy eye. This guy explains it very good. http://www.videojug.com/expertanswer...-do-i-treat-it
thank you for showing me... i could have maybe saved this fish :( i feel stupid...well at least i have this knowledge for the future. I should have not even bought these bettas when that lady didn't even know how old they where :(.. I also saw that it's eyes where gray when i first got home and brushed it off :( a betta lost it's life for nothing.. AWESOME
Old 03-22-2010, 09:20 PM   #10 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Don't beat yourself up over it, these things happen. It's a shame that they don't treat fish in the pet stores when they see that they're sick. Like you said, at least you will know what to look for. I always research things thoroughly so if you have the time, I'd go through threads here of the different diseases and/or online so you have a really good knowledge of the diseases they can get.