Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-22-2010, 06:19 PM   #1 
1fish2fish

Filter help

I'm dividing my new/old eclipse 6 into 3 sections. Normally I would only divide it into 2 sections but since it was already divided I'm sticking with 3 sections and doubling the water changes.

I want to cycle the tank 1. Because its going to have 3 fish in it 2. because I need the water to stay stable if I go home for a week, etc. So I'm going to need some sort of filter/aerator.

Since the tank didn't come with the eclipse filter I'm looking for other suggestions that could work. I was thinking 2 or 3 penn pax small world filters but I only want 1 air pump so I don't think that will work.

I need suggestions of filters that are small, will hold a cycle, and can do well in a tank divided 3 ways. HOB filters wont work because of the eclipse hood and I don't think an in-tank whisper would work well either.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:24 PM   #2 
bloo97

I use Aqueon small filters for my 2.5.8) Don't know about your details though.
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:21 PM   #3 
kuklachica

I have one of these... I haven't used it in a cycled tank, but I don't see why it wouldn't work? Though you might need more than one... or maybe on of these in the middle and get a gang valve and put one of the small worlds on either side. you'll need a nylon over the intake, and a nylon and sponge over the outflow (it's pretty strong).

http://www.petco.com/product/13796/H...20Filter-13796
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:38 PM   #4 
doubleatheman

The penn pax filters can all use one air pump, just get a gang valve. A single 10 gallon airpump would run 2-3 filters easy.

We have used a small (10g) airpump to run our UFG and Penn Pax filters at the same time, plenty of air flow.
doubleatheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:15 AM   #5 
1fish2fish

I think I'm going to get this air pump and two of the small world filters (or what ever the petsmart equivalent is). I'm going to get a gang valve and hook it up. Hopefully the two filters will be enough to hold a cycle (I'll be cloning the tank prior to adding the fish).. if not I might have to make a sponge filter for the middle section.

My plan is one filter in each outside section and the heater (50w) in the middle.. that way each section doesn't have too much stuff taking up space.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:17 AM   #6 
doubleatheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
I think I'm going to get this air pump and two of the small world filters (or what ever the petsmart equivalent is). I'm going to get a gang valve and hook it up. Hopefully the two filters will be enough to hold a cycle (I'll be cloning the tank prior to adding the fish).. if not I might have to make a sponge filter for the middle section.

My plan is one filter in each outside section and the heater (50w) in the middle.. that way each section doesn't have too much stuff taking up space.
That airpump will be OVERLOAD!

Way too much
Old 03-24-2010, 01:59 AM   #7 
doubleatheman

Here I was bored (or got side tracked) lol

I made a quick video,

The Elite 802 is rated for 20 gallons (like your dual outlet from walmart)

The other single outlet pump a generic 10 gallon pump. (single outlet at walmart)

I know gallon ratings on air pums is kinda a bad number to compare by.

The single outlet pump can power 2 of the SMW filters easy, I have to bleed out more than half the air to make the current decent. Also when its on full blast its LOUD.

The dual outlet airpump can power 10 of these things I'M not kidding! At the end of the video I put an airstone on the other end of the 2nd outluet on the the dual pump, you can see how much air that would be for a little 6 gal tank.

I put the plastic pieces in the tank to attempt to show the current from the filter.

Hope this helps!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj7_pVIHsnE
Old 03-24-2010, 10:12 AM   #8 
1fish2fish

Right now its my only option. If its loud I'm returning it. I can't afford to buy a smaller double and buying two air pumps means more cords which is what I'm trying to avoid.

I'll just have to see how it goes.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:19 AM   #9 
doubleatheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
Right now its my only option. If its loud I'm returning it. I can't afford to buy a smaller double and buying two air pumps means more cords which is what I'm trying to avoid.

I'll just have to see how it goes.
No no no! Buy one single outlet pump and hook that into the gang valve, form their the single outlet pump powers both of the SMW.

Single outlet airpump $6
Gang valve $3.50
Tubing $2
Total: $11.50

Dual outlet airpump $11
Tubing $2
Total: $13

The first option is cheaper & quieter

Also Consider the Tetra 3i filter, its about $10 and includes the filter and airpump already. But it would only be one filter not the two you say you want.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:41 AM   #10 
1fish2fish

I've heard that one air pump with a gang valve won't be enough for two swf. I can't use the 3i because of the eclipse hood.. If I could I would much rather use that but it has no where to hang in this tank and IME the suction cups don't hold the filter up.

I'll try the gang valve and one air pump first to see how it works. First I have to find the SWF