Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-25-2013, 02:57 AM   #1 
ilykadothechacha

Question Heaters?

Well for some weird reason Arizona has gotten pretty cold. It probably will warm back up soon but I should get a few heaters.
So....
What heater should I get for my 10 gallon tanks (I have two of them)? I saw one at Petco for 2-10 gallons. Will that be okay?
And I have one tank that I don't know how many gallons it is. It might be a 16. So for that one should I look into the 10-20 gallon one?
I also have a 5.5 gallon but it has an incandescent light and it keeps it pretty warm when its on. Should I still get one for this tank too?

The ones that I have no idea on are my two 1.5 gallon tanks and my 1 gallon tank.
The one gallon tank is directly in the flow of the heater (when its on). We don't have it running all day long.
What should I get for my 1.5 gallon tanks?

I am on a major budget. So I cant spend a lot of money on a heater since I also need one for my 55 gallon turtle tank. I did notice that ones for 1 gallon desk top tanks are super expensive. Almost $20 for one.

One last question. Will I need to take the heaters out during the summer? It gets really hot here and we keep the house around 85 degrees during the day. So they definitely don't need a heater then.

And all the tanks right now only get to about 74 degrees at night and in the morning. But warm up a few degrees during the day. The fish don't seem bothered by it. They aren't lethargic or anything.

Sorry this is so long. Thank you to anyone who reads this. I don't think I could read it. Lol. Hopefully how I wrote it made it easier.
Thank you!
ilykadothechacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:54 AM   #2 
Hallyx
Reference Team

This is the least expensive reliable heater I know, and it's pretty small, too. It's the one I use and have been running continuously for 3 years now. There are many quality adjustable heaters in the 25w to 50W range on Amazon, by Eheim, Aquatop, Via Aqua, Hydor and Neo-Therm. Some are just a few dollars more.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Submersible-Preset-Heater-25-Watt/dp/B00106X8QG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1385379740&sr=8-4&keywords=Hagen+mini+elite+heater]Amazon.com: Elite Submersible Preset Heater Mini, 25-Watt: Pet Supplies[/ame]

You really need a heater for each tank. It's not enough to keep the temperature within a range, if the temperature rises and falls through that range daily. A few degrees is acceptable, but not much more. You do not have to remove the heater in the summer. It should just turn off and stay off when the set temperature is reached.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:55 AM   #3 
ilykadothechacha

So I got heaters for my 10 gallons and I just have a few more questions.
Do I put them horizontally or vertically in the tank?
Should I take the betta and the other critters out while it heats up or should it gradually raise to the temp I set it at?

Thank you again for responding. I am still looking for heaters for my smaller tanks.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:52 AM   #4 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I mount my heaters horizontally. They're less obvious, and I believe they heat more efficiently. Other members agree.

They heat a 10g very slowly. You can leave your livestock in the tank.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:44 AM   #5 
rickey
Banned

I mount my heaters horizontally so as to not blow up any more heater up doing water changess

R
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:49 PM   #6 
gbose

IlyK,

Mount your heaters horizontally -- much safer during water changes. What do you have in your 1.5G tanks? If you have bettas, they really need more like 79F

GBose
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 02:26 AM   #7 
ilykadothechacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
I mount my heaters horizontally. They're less obvious, and I believe they heat more efficiently. Other members agree.

They heat a 10g very slowly. You can leave your livestock in the tank.
Ok. I will put them in horizontally. I should be getting them in next week. I'm still trying to get something for the 1.5 gallons. I'll have to order them too. I didn't see anything at petco or petsmart that was adjustable and small enough to fit in the tank. The small one at petco would fit but it just heats 5-10 degrees higher than room temp and the temp in the house changes all the time. The smaller tanks also have been around 76-78 degrees. I've never seen them any lower.
Thank you for your help.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:32 AM   #8 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickey View Post
I mount my heaters horizontally so as to not blow up any more heater up doing water changess

R
LoL. I'd forgotten about that. I never turn anything of when I do pwc's.

Tags
1 gallon tank, 1.5 gallon tank, 10gal, 16 gallon tank, heaters